Time really does fly when you are having fun! I can't believe it's Secret Recipe Club reveal day again for Group D. If you don't already know, secret recipe club is a fun online challenge where you are assigned a blog each month and you must choose something to make from that blog without their knowledge until reveal day hence the secret! It was started by Amanda from Amanda's Cookin' and has grown in leaps and bounds since its inception.
This month I was assigned The Adventures of an Epic Baker. I'm always excited when my blog assignment is related to baking as I really don't cook all that much. Plus this blog is mainly about baking. There is a nice section that tells you all about the epic baker, a self-taught home baker/cook. Her blog is very easy to read with lots of lovely pictures. There's a very helpful recipe index grouped into categories which made it easier to choose a recipe but there were so many good ones, it was a difficult choice! I had quite a few bookmarked but in the end I decided to make these lovely lemon muffins. I love lemons in baking and these muffins are full of lemony goodness. They were light, refreshing, moist and delicious and didn't last long at work! I made slight modifications to the recipe - adding yoghurt and using self raising flour instead of cake flour.
Other recipes that caught my eye and are going on my to bake list are black cocoa brownies, strawberry shortcake cupcakes, lemon custard creams and gluten free chocolate tortes/tarts. I would highly recommend a visit to her blog if you've never visited before.
Recipe adapted from the adventures of an epic baker
Makes approximately 22 muffins
250g self raising flour
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
180g caster sugar (recommend more if you prefer a sweeter bake)
1/2 cup lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons
1 cup natural yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing fully.
- Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest and yoghurt.
- Finally sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 12-15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- You can make an optional glaze - sift 250g icing sugar and add drops of lemon juice until you get the consistency required.