These are quite possibly the best chocolate cupcakes I've ever had. One day I had a craving for a simple chocolate cupcake. Not one that's paired with fruit or caramel or a combination of flavours. Just pure chocolate. Sometimes simple is best and this is about as simple as it gets. No extra flavours, no hidden surprises just chocolate on chocolate. It definitely satisfied my craving and it was so good I baked a second batch so that J could take some to work.
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcake
50g cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
200g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup or 125mls milk
1/2 cup or 125ml hot water
For the frosting
160g icing sugar
25g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
115g dark chocolate, melted
2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla extract.
- Add half of the dry ingredients then the milk.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients then the hot water.
- Divide the mixture into 12 cupcake cases.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and icing sugar together until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder followed by the melted chocolate and mix well.
- Finally add in the cream and whisk further until the icing is smooth and glossy.
- Pipe the chocolate icing on top of the chocolate cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.