Monday 17 May 2010

Very Lemony Crunch Cake


This is yet another amazing recipe from Fiona Cairns Bake & Decorate. I made this on a whim at about 10pm on a sunday night as you do. I seem to have a tendency to bake late at night! I also wanted to use my new silicone bakeware (I think I mentioned in a previous post about recent purchases of baking goods/kitchenware) However the tin is actually too big so the cake came out a little flat. I'll probably make a double recipe next time to fill the tin.
The resulting sponge was really moist and lemony with a crunchy top exactly as described in her book. Just what I was looking for. I'll definitely be making this again and again as it was so simple and yet so satisfying. Plus I don't need to get any special ingredients.

new silicone cake tin

the magic a kitchenaid can do :)

fresh from the oven

close upperfect with a nice cup of tea :)

For the cake
175g unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the tin
175g self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
175g golden caster sugar
zest, finely grated, and juice of 1 large lemon

For the topping
juice of 1 large lemon
100g white granulated sugar


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.

  • Lightly butter an 18cm diameter, 7.5cm deep, round springform tin and line the base and sides with parchment paper.

  • Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and set aside.

  • Melt the butter in a small pan and set aside to cool slightly.

  • Using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer, or a bowl and electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together until very light and fluffy (this may take 5 minutes)

  • Blend in the melted butter; then very gently fold in the flour and zest.

  • Finally, slowly fold in the juice.

  • Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake springs back to the touch, or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

  • Meanwhile, make the crunchy topping by simply mixing the juice and sugar together in a small bowl.

  • Immediately the cake comes from the oven, prick tiny holes all over it with a fine skewer or cocktail stick.

  • Pour the lemon syrup evenly all over the surface.

  • Leave to cool completely in the tin.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds fabulous, now that you've made it and liked it so much, maybe I'll make it too.
    *kisses* HH
    p.s. i only like using silicone bakeware. Its so much better and easier to take the baked goodie out, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HH - thanks! Am loving this book. Got mostly silicone bakeware now. Definitely a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really lovely and moist especially in the closeups! It's funny, I don't think I have much silicone bakeware-I must investigate it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. a delicious cake! I love lemony treats!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious - I can almost taste the zingy flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite cakes in the world. Used to bake it in rectangular mould, but I guess the circular shape is prettier :-)

    Sawadee from Bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great! I love lemon anything. Any any excuse to use my silicone cake pan goes right to teh top of my 'to make' pile.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!