Tuesday 24 May 2011

Chocolate Swiss Roll with Peanut Butter Filling


This month's We Should Cocoa challenge is set by Chele and it's to make a chocolate swiss roll/roulade.  That's definitely a challenge for me as I've never made one before but I was happy to embrace the challenge especially since I missed out on the April challenge. As you probably already know, peanut butter is one of my favourite snacks and it pairs very well with chocolate so this month I present you with a chocolate swiss roll filled with a peanut butter cream.  I overbaked the cake slightly but still managed to get it into a roll. The peanut butter filling is absolutely divine and I have actually been eating (small) bowfuls at a time - one for breakfast this morning!!  I made a chocolate ganache to go on top of the cake to cover up the cracks but didn't have time to do any fancy decorations. 


 whisk egg yolks and water 

 Add sugar

 Beat egg whites until stiff

 fold into batter 

 swiss roll 

spread a generous layer of peanut butter frosting 


 cover in ganache 

 my first swiss roll :) 

Recipe from poiresauchocolat
For the cake
60g flour
30g cornflour
20g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
3 eggs, separated
35mls cold water
120g golden caster sugar

For the peanut butter filling
100g cream cheese
175g smooth peanut butter
100g icing sugar
200ml double cream

For the chocolate ganache
50g dark chocolate
75ml double cream
20g soft brown sugar

Step 1:make the cake
  • Preheat the oven to 170C and line a 12 x 8 inch swiss roll tin. (I used my normal baking tray and it turned out fine)
  • Sift the flour, cornflour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt three times.
  • Whisk the egg yolks and cold water together in a stand mixer on high speed for 1 minute.
  • Add the caster sugar then whip on high until the mixture is pale and thick.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
  • Place the egg yolk mix bowl on a damp cloth to prevent it slipping.
  • Slowly start sifting the flour mixture into the bowl whilst whisking with your other hand. 
  • When the flour is totally incorporated, add 1/3 of the egg whites and fold in with a rubber spatula to lighten the mix. 
  • Finally add the rest of the egg whites and fold in until uniform. 
  • Pour into the prepared tin, spread evenly and bake for 12-15 minutes or until springy to touch in the center but not too brown especially at the edges. 
Step 2: Roll the cake
  • While the cake is baking, cut 2 large rectangles of parchment paper bigger than your pan.
  • Lay one on a work surface and sprinkle with a few teaspoons of caster sugar. 
  • When the cake is ready, leave it to rest for 1 minute, then turn it out onto the sugary parchment. 
  • Peel off the parchment paper on the bottom of the cake. 
  • Score a line gently about 1 inch from the short end. 
  • Place the new parchment paper on top and start rolling from the scored edge, keeping it tight. 
  • Wrap the whole roll in a tea towel and leave to cool
Step 3: Prepare the filling
  • In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. 
  • Add the peanut butter and icing sugar and beat again until smooth.
  • In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff.
  • Add 1/3 of the cream and fold in to lighten, then add the remaining cream and fold until uniform. 
  • Put in the fridge to chill for 1 hour. 
Step 4: Make the swiss roll  
  • Carefully unwrap the cake then spread a generous layer of the peanut butter filling, leaving an inch around the sides.
  • Re-roll and then place on your serving plate. 
Step 5: Assemble the cake
  • Chop the chocolate and place it in a small bowl. 
  • Heat the cream and sugar until the sugar is dissolved and it's nearly boiling, then pour over the chocolate. 
  • Leave for a minute, then stir until smooth and glossy.
  • Pour over the swiss roll until evenly coated.
  • Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Step 6: Enjoy! 


10 comments:

  1. I think you've done really well on this challenge! I LOVE peanut butter, so you've got my thumbs up :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! What a great idea for the filling! I don't blame you enjoying the leftovers- I did the same with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A woman after my own heart! I'm on a chocolate peanut butter kick myself now too! Nothing beats it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. wat a gorgeous clicks..now you ve gotten me craving for this..:p
    Tasty Appetite
    Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been afraid of making one of these, they seem so fragile, but yours came out so beautifully.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look amazing and I delicious, I love it! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic roll, well done. Really liking the sound of that filling. Thanks for participating in the challenge. Chele's laptop has packed up, so I'm doing the round-up this month. Should be posting today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum - I love that you've been generous with the filling!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!