Tuesday 28 June 2011

Spinach and cheese muffins


I decided to dabble in the savoury side for once. In fact I was getting a bit bored of smoothies for breakfast and thought muffins would make good breakfast food. I went to my trusted hummingbird bakery cookbook for a recipe and it turned out great. They're really simple to make and freeze well too! I tired the ham and cheese version which was even better in my book. 





30g butter
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
360g plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
250g cheddar cheese, grated
220ml whole milk
1 egg
130g baby spinach leaves

  • Preheat oven to 170C.
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then fry the onion until cooked.
  • Set aside.
  • Put the flour, baking powder, cayenne and cheese in a large bowl.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the milk and egg together, then slowly pour into the flour mixture and beat with a handheld whisk until all the ingredients are well mixed. (I used a spatula)
  • Stir in the onion and spinach with a wooden spoon until evenly dispersed. 
  • Spoon the mixture into muffin cases until 2/3 full and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until deep golden and the sponge bounces back when touched.
  • Leave to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 


12 comments:

  1. these look amazing I love spinachs!! look delicious, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember seeing these in the Hummingbird cookbook. They look fantastic! And yes I sometimes go to the savoury side but I do love sweet baking most :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of spinach and cheese muffins :-).
    I am here for the first time, and since home-baking is one of my passions I will follow you!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm - it's long past lunchtime and I'm feeling hungry - these sound fantastic. I've bookmarked them and will try and get some done this weekend. They'd be great to keep us going doing all that weeding down at the field.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made these for a quick supper tonight using beetroot leaves instead of spinach. Delicious - thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having breakfast for dinner, and these look perfect for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of these, I've never made a savoury muffin, but now that I see these, I cant imagine why?! These look great!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love savoury things, especially ones with cheese! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely - the spinach looks particularly inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love spinach and these sound wonderful! I could eat them every day for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the odd savoury muffin. I find that I prefer savoury in the morning and these sound like the perfect breakfast, slightly healthy too?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh...sounds heavenly! I'm crazy about spinach, and it's sounds great in a muffin. I'm not so crazy about cheddar cheese so I'd probably use a different kind instead...maybe Swiss? :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!