Saturday 30 July 2011

Ham, cheese and mushroom muffins


This is the carnivorous version of the spinach and cheese muffin I made earlier. In fact I've been making quite a few batches of these muffins to freeze as they are so simple to make and so convenient to have for breakfast or for a snack. I've also added some cherry tomatoes to a batch which worked really well.

 cook the mushrooms in butter 

 chop up the ham 


 I had some leftover spinach leaves so added that to a few of my muffins 

 delicious! 

50g butter
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
80g button mushroom, chopped
350g plain flour
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
250g cheddar cheese, grated
220ml whole milk
1 egg
80g smoked ham, finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then fry the onion and mushrooms until cooked. 
  • Season with sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
  • Put the flour, baking powder and cheese in a large bowl.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the milk and egg together, then slowly pour into the flour mixture and beat with an electric handheld whisk until all the ingredients are well mixed. 
  • Stir in the onion, mushrooms and chopped ham with a wooden spoon until evenly dispersed. 
  • Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until deep golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. 
  • Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. 


6 comments:

  1. Those savoury muffins would make a great weekend brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I've really got to try making savoury muffins. I think Mr P would really like them.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made savoury muffins but, with these and your previous spinach ones, I'm starting to feel very very tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! So full of the tasty bits in them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, these look absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing, I will have to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about putting the ingredient measurements in US lingo?

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!