Sunday 18 March 2012

Pistachio and rose Madeleines


Well it's back to baking full swing in my kitchen. I will post some pictures soon about all the baking goodies I bought from America and the yummy cakes I had plus a few others. Today, I want to share a simple pistachio and rose madeleine with you. I bought a whole bag of pistachios hence the consecutive pistachio recipes. There may be yet another one as I don't want to waste them! 

I knew I wanted to make a madeleine for AlphaBakes hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes as the letter for this month is M. I also wanted to use pistachios. I remember bookmarking a recipe ages ago from one of my all time favourite blogs Not Quite Nigella (I've probably bookmarked her whole blog!) She has adapted this recipe from Nigella and it worked a treat. Nigella says it makes 48 mini madeleines or 24 regular ones. Not Quite Nigella managed 12 regular ones but I only managed 10 (one was smaller as I didn't have enough batter). 

They smelt really fragrant from the rose water and tasted delicious! I'll definitely be making these again as they were quick and simple and bake, looked pretty and tasted amazing. Will remember to make a double recipe next time. 


I am also submitting this to Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes 




 grind pistachios and icing sugar..

 ...to a fine powder 

 mixing into the egg and sugar mixture

 add chopped pistachios to the top 



Recipe from Not Quite Nigella

1 large egg
40g caster sugar
pinch of salt
25grams unsalted pistachios + extra to sprinkle on top (optional)
2 tablespoons icing sugar
50g unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing pan
45g plain flour
1 tablespoon rosewater


  • Preheat the oven to 220ºC 
  • Butter and flour the madeleine pan. 
  • Grind the pistachios with icing sugar until it resembles a fine powder. Roughly chop the extra pistachios if using (approximately 1 handful)
  • Melt the butter and set aside to cool. 
  • Beat the egg, caster sugar and salt until it triples in volume. 
  • Add in the flour, butter and rosewater. 
  • Spoon the batter into the tins and bake for approximately 6-8 minutes. 


22 comments:

  1. my gran used to make the most fantastic Madeleines, but never with rose and pistaschio both flavours I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flavour combinations, so glad I found it!

      Delete
  2. Wow- these look superb! A and I had some delicious, warmed pistachio madeleines the other night as petit fours after a posh meal out - and they are high on my 'To Bake' list but I don't for a second think I could make as beautiful madeleines as you have here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all down to the pan :) I just realised I didn't take a picture of the other side - the classic scallop look. They are great gifts if you want to impress!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely and unusual combination! I have a madeleine tin which I have yet to use...I really need to christen it, so madeleines soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you try. They are so quick and easy to make and the tin makes it look so pretty!

      Delete
  4. They look truly scrumptious! Love rose and I love pistachios! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The flavour combination was divine although the rose was subtle but smelt lovely x

      Delete
  5. They look absolutely gorgeous and I'm so honoured that you used my recipe! I have just bought an ingredient to make one of your recipes ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a brilliant recipe and I am honoured that you are going to make one of mine! I cant wait :) x

      Delete
  6. Delicious, I love pistachio and a great 'M' for the challenege. I have a Madeleine tin but have yet to make them. Might give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I am totally in love with madeleines now. Do give them a try, everyone is always impressed!

      Delete
  7. I'm a huge fan of madeleines and love how you've sprinkled the pistachio on top, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I thought it would add extra crunch and a nuttier taste :)

      Delete
  8. Madeleines always remind me of family holidays in France when I was small! They used to be our roadtrip snack! I'm not really a fan of pistachios or rosewater but I do like the way they add a lovely vibrant colour to the madeleines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make any flavour you like with madeleines. I've never actually eaten them before until I started baking them!

      Delete
  9. I have never tried one but feel I am missing out - can;t you do a delivery service! Hope you enjoyed your trip things were very quiet - in fact still are I am a twitter outcast at the mo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really have to try one... sending them over asap :) oh why are you a twitter outcast?

      Delete
  10. These would be right up my ally - pistachios are a favorite of mine (although I don't eat them often) and madeleines are such fun (they have their own little pan), so it's the perfect combo really...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally in love with madeleines now as they are so cute. Not really a huge fan of pistachios but I could eat a whole tray of these!

      Delete
  11. Madeleines is one of my favorite weekend bakes. These pistachio & rose looks tasty & what a great combination! Love how you add some chopped pistachios on top of them! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The flavours definitely worked well together and I liked the extra pistachio hit :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!