Tuesday 1 May 2012

Cake International 2012

I had a very, very exciting day last week. I took a day off work and went to my first Cake International show at Excel, London. I remember reading about it on a few blogs last year and looking at pictures of gorgeous cake so now it's my turn to show you the cakes :)

It really is a baker's/cake decorator's/sugarcrafter's dream. Even if you are not, you will be amazed, awed and astounded by the magnificient cakes on display. There are workshops, demonstrations, competitions including a live competition, meet and greet cake authors and the most amazing array of everything you need to bake and decorate all in one place! 

I consider myself a baker but not much of a cake decorator so I was really excited to learn new techniques and ooh and aah over all the cake decorating equipment available. It was really nice to have everything in 1 place - usually I see these things online but have no idea how to use most of them. I really had to restrain myself from buying everything but I did get a few goodies which I'm sure will make an appearance on this blog at some point :) 

Enough of my ramblings, a picture speaks a thousand words so let me give you a preview of what was on offer at the Cake show. If any of these cakes are yours, feel free to leave a comment or email me and I'll add a link. 



 look at the detail

 gorgeous

 cute

 cute 

 super cute! This is my favourite cake and is baked by Shelly from Cakes by Shelly Puts my cookie monster cupcakes to shame! 

 cute

 I wonder how long it took to make this?

 this was in the junior competition age 12-18! amazing!! 

 love the detail here...

...and here

 the judges hard at work 

 cute handbag cake boxes

 cake pop moulds - I was so tempted and now regret not buying them :(

 love this cake 

 Sex and the City cake by Cheri Bakewells - gorgeous! 


 wedding cake section there was one with a stained glass window effect - very nice (sorry no picture)

 Pink Flamingo chocolate cake by Traceys Cakes

Made by Heather from Fancy That Cake Company - she was upgraded to a silver medal for the handbag and shoe class - congratulations! 

 Heather also made this gorgeous owl cake which won a silver medal for the sculpted novelty cake class 



they look so real! 

 love the detail here - iphone, mac make up and the polo mints! 

 Made by the Cakes4Fun team live at the show

 Shuga Budz from Wolverhampton


32 comments:

  1. Love the cake pop moulds!! So cute ave seen them before. All of those cakes are so cute über jealous!

    Nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I bought the cake pop moulds now. I was trying to be so good on the day as I wanted to buy everything!!

      Delete
  2. Ah looks so cool! I am definitely glad I didn't go because I know I would have spent money I don't have! haha, so am happy to experience it vicariously through your blog...and so glad of the blog post - my reader has been empty for the last 10 minutes and I'm desperately running out of sources for procrastination! the essay is still not written! The elmo cake is cute and I love the cityscape of the Sex and the City cake - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely spent more than I should have but I really did restrain myself (and now regret it slightly!) Still procrastinating? I am the queen of procrastination so I know exactly how you feel :)

      Delete
  3. Awwww, so wish I'd been able to go. Thanks for giving us a peek, though. It looks fab. Have seen the cake pop moulds on an American site before, and if anything would tempt me to try making them it would be that - love the little cupcake one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun day and would love to go again. The cake pop moulds are really cute and I really regret not buying them now!

      Delete
  4. All these cakes look amazing! Everything seems to be a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are some truly amazing cakes - they remind me of some of the cakes by Duff Goldman's crew on Ace of Cakes. Only better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed by all the cakes there! The best bit was the shopping :)

      Delete
  6. Omg!! Those cakes are amazing!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. They really were and this is just a fraction of it!

      Delete
  8. What a fun day! Those cakes look absolutely incredible, and so damn cute! The only complaint I have about heavily decorated cakes like that is that the decorators often don't pay much attention to the cake itself, putting so much effort into the beautiful, intricate exterior. As long as the cake itself is quality as well then it's a real work of art to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to taste any cake so have no idea what they tasted like. I'm not sure I have the patience or skill to create these cakes myself! At least I can bake a (usually) tasty cake :)

      Delete
  9. Oh wow that's amazing Ross! I ve never heard of a cake exhibition and would love to go to one! I can't believe that some of them are actually cakes... How is that possible wow!
    I would have gone broke if I went to this exhibition hahaha thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time and I really loved it. I cant wait to go again next year. I did have to seriously curb the spending. Everything is so tempting!

      Delete
  10. A fantastic show but oh so busy! Such a shame we couldn't meet up - I was in and out like a whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for showing one of my cakes on your blog (the pink and purple handbag and shoe cake)... although in the picture shown it says BRONZE I was actually upgraded to a SILVER medal, which is fab!! I also won a SILVER medal for my Barn Owl cake (no picture on your blog unfortunately) and itching to do it all again in November! Hope to see you all there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your silver medal!! I've updated my blog now and I actually do have a picture of your owl cake so I've added it too :) I really need to plan a trip for November! x

      Delete
  12. The show looks really good I must go sometime. Ilove the ckaes but the zebra one is my favourite. I can not make cakes that look like things to save my life just the thought of it makes me shiver with fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zebra is really cute! I can't make cakes like these either but it's really fun to go and watch :) Next one is in November in Birmingham!

      Delete
  13. wow i was at cake international my first time my crazy baby cake won bronze one on this page so many doors have opened for me i just love baking huge passion since i was 13years. My facebook is http://facebook.com/pages/Fondant-Fantasies-By-Tanya you can view my work link to my page for my website where you can see my very gruesome cake. :)Can not wait for November :)Tanya x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Organizing an event for different kinds of cake is good. People can keep their tasty cakes in cake boxes safely.
    More info here

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow..The cake looks amazing..love the texture of the cake and step by step representation.I got so many ideas about different cake flavours after reading this post..keep posting such informative post.
    And if you want to explore more such cakes then visit us at 1800giftportal..we provide online cakes & gifts delivery at your doorstep.
    international cake delivery to Germany
    international cake delivery to Canada
    send cake online
    baby shower gifts

    ReplyDelete
  16. A nice way to send and sincere. Here I want to show you my Business which is about Custom Cake Boxes with free shipping. RushPackaging is a guide in the field of packaging. We are working in the USA but we give our custom packaging solutions throughout the world. We charge a sensible amount in terms of our quality services. Choose us to get the best for yourself.
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
    Custom Burger Boxes
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Custom Coffee Packaging

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is something a yummy blog post. I like the way you designed it.
    Large Popcorn Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  18. it was awesome to read, thanks for sharing this great content to my vision
    online florist delivery
    wedding flowers order online

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!