Saturday 6 October 2012

Nigella Nutella Cake


Huge apologies to all my readers for the lack of blogging recently. I went to America (Florida and Washington which was amazing) then had a very hectic last 10 days at work and changed jobs this week. I've not really had time to bake much less blog even though I have quite a few posts in the draft folder. 

I've decided to share with you the cake I made for my leaving tea party at work. I felt so touched by the kind words and was extremely impressed that my colleagues made the effort to bake cakes for me as I'm always baking for them! Apparently store bought was not going to be good enough for me so there was an email going round asking for homemade cakes and I was treated to a lovely chocolate cake, apple cake, marmalade cake and homemade scones. Thank you so much!! 

Of course I couldn't resist baking one last time even though I was up half the night! I made 2 big cakes and this is one of them - a Nigella Nutella Cake. Nigella says it's one of the easiest cakes to make and the most delicious and that her household is addicted to it. I totally agree as it was delicious and the first cake to be finished amongst all the many delicious cakes on display! 

I'm entering this to AlphaBakes hosted by myself this month and co-hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes as the letter this month is N for Nigella Nutella cake. To the AlphaBakers last month - I'm sorry I've not had time to visit your blogs and see your delicious P entries but I promise I will get to them in the next week or so! My mouth was watering from what I've seen on the roundup so I look forward to reading each entry in detail. 



 'nutty' cake 

 roasted hazelnuts 


 fold in egg whites 

 a little burnt but no one will notice after it's covered in ganache and fruits! 

 slightly uneven after the cake cooled. I initially wanted to add smarties on top but decided fresh fruit would balance out the chocolate

 the side view is much better!! 

Recipe available on Nigella's website 
The only changes I made was to omit the rum (as it was for work) and to use roasted chopped hazelnuts instead of ground hazelnuts to increase the nutty taste and texture. 

19 comments:

  1. What a fantastic looking Nigella cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very attractive! I like the piles of fresh berries on the top, I bet your colleagues enjoyed this. It was very thoughtful of them to make you cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone loved it. Simple yet effective decorations :)

      Delete
  3. Nigella + Nigella = 1 very happy Chele ;0)
    Great cake, looks amazing and I bet it tastes even better. Good luck with the new job role too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasted brilliant!! Thanks for the wishes... at this job temporarily, have a permanent job lined up for next year :)

      Delete
  4. I love the way you've decorated it, are those chocolate fingers around the side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes chocolate fingers - currently on special offer in tesco :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, I was wondering if they were choccie fingers too? Love that idea. Such a simple but beautiful decoration for a celebration cake. I am bookmarking this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes chocolate fingers. I used 2 and a bit boxes - plenty left for the chef to munch on :)

      Delete
  6. Stunning cake, Hope your first week in your new job went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. glorious cake!... well done on that, well done on your new job and most of all, well done of having a blinking holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - now that's a showstopper! The bow sets it off perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bow too - first time tying a ribbon round a cake. Won't be the last!

      Delete
  9. Wow, what an amazing cake Ros! I thought the Smuts had been on the quiet side lately and now I know why! Glad to see you back! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I've missed reading your blog and will be visiting soon.

      Delete
  10. Oh my this looks lovely...I've been looking for a chocolate hazelnut tart recipe but may just try this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this looks amazing Ros, love the choc fingers around the edge and the mounds of fruit in the middle! Hope your new job is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Everyone loved the cake and decorations too :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!