Monday 6 May 2013

Kiwi and Strawberry Muffins


I usually make my own lunch for work which includes a portion of fruit. My favourite combination at the moment is strawberries and kiwis but I do alternate with strawberries and blueberries. I obviously thought about how I could convert this into a bake and decided that muffins were the best way forward. I've tried baking with kiwis before and it didn't work very well. It has quite a soft texture and can sometimes be very slightly bitter. I remember the previous cake being too wet probably because I used yoghurt so I made sure to steer clear this time. I'm pleased to report that this experiment was a huge success.  The muffins were moist but not soggy and you could clearly taste the fruit.  The spelt flour made it feel healthier and gave it a nice texture. I was surprised when one of my colleagues asked if there was cinnamon in there - clearly she has a more refined palate than mine! 

I'm sending this to AlphaBakes a monthly blogging challenge that I co-host with Caroline who is our gracious host this month. The letter is 'K' for kiwi.  There's a lovely prize up for grabs this month so do get your entries in via email. 


I'm also sending it to Made with love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior. This recipe uses fresh ingredients so I think it fits the bill nicely. 


I'd also like to introduce you to a new blogger friend of mine. Her name is Emma and she blogs at Cakes for Dorothy. Today, one of my posts is being featured on her blog as a guest post - my cookie monster cupcakes. She has a lovely UK based blog where she shares her baking successes and failures and lessons learnt. She also has a Wednesday Wish segment featuring her baking wishlist. Please visit and show her some blogging support. 

 my usual lunch box fruits

 mix wet and dry ingredients 

 ready to go in the oven

 you can still see the fruit! 

An original recipe by bakingaddict

250g plain flour
125g spelt flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
200g brown sugar
50g honey
180g strawberries - washed, hulled and roughly chopped
4 kiwis - peeled and roughly chopped
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
juice from 1/2 orange 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Mix the dry ingredients together and make a well in the centre of the bowl.
  • Add the wet ingredients and mix well. 
  • Scoop into baking cases and bake for 18-20 mins or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 



14 comments:

  1. What a great combination! I'm struggling a bit at the moment with K...Kiwi is the only thing I've come up with but the month is still young! Your muffins look really tasty :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked really well! Any luck with 'K'? :)

      Delete
  2. Yum I love the sound of this fruity combo too...but these days I can't bring myself to eat muffins. I feel like they're lacking frosting! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know what you mean. These actually felt really healthy! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the combo & a very healthy muffins packed with vitamins! YUM! I make sure this time I won't miss the Alpha Bakes challenge! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and look forward to seeing your entry.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh these look and sound healthy :) Arghhh I haven't had time or the chance to do Alphabakes for so long! I'm so sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the use of the fresh kiwi and strawberries in the muffins, Ros - and that they are still visible after baking! These sound delicious and I'm sure they're wonderfully moist, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very moist and tasty. Thanks for hosting Made with Love Mondays.

      Delete
  6. Really interesting flavour. - can you believe that I've never tried a kiwi fruit? So I'm trying to work out how they should taste. But kiwi fruit is great for this month's Alphabakes - I'll have to try and think of something so I can join in this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I love kiwis! Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

      Delete
  7. A lovely summery fruit combination! Thanks for sending these to Alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!