Lemon cake is one of my faovurite cakes. I bookmarked this recipe as soon as I saw it in my Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook. It's a recipe by Juliana and the description reads "This tried and tested recipe was discovered in a cookery binder that Juliana inherited from her nan. This sponge is drizzled with a lemony syrup that sets into a crispy, crunchy topping". Honestly, how could I resist?
I have to say the cake turned out perfectly and exactly as described. This was a huge hit at work and I've had repeated requests for more! Writing this makes me wish I could have another slice of the cake now!
I'm entering this to bookmarked recipes hosted by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes.
Recipe from Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook page 130
For the cake
340g caster sugar
340g self raising flour
grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
225g caster sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the lemon zest and juice.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Finally, add the milk.
- Spoon into a cake tin, level it and bake for about 1 hour until risen and golden brown.
- Prepare the topping by mixing the sugar and lemon juice until the sugar dissolves.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, prick all over with a skewer, then drizzle with lemon topping.
- Allow to cool in the tin completely before turning out.
- Decorate with sprinkles of lemon zest.