Wednesday 18 December 2013

Cinnamon and Date Cake



The festive baking continues and this time I have a really simple recipe that will be guaranteed to impress. If you are short on time, whizz up this cake and impress your guests. It's a very simple cake but it's full of flavour. The cinnamon is subtle but definitely present and the dates gives the cake a lovely, sweet stickiness and more importantly does not taste like dates!

I'm entering this to several blog challenges

One Ingredient Challenge hosted by Laura from How to Cook Good Food and co hosted by Nazima from Franglais Kitchen. The ingredient this month is dates.


The Spice Trail :Cooking with Cinnamon hosted by Vanesther from Bangers & Mash


Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and co-hosted by Laura from Laura loves Cakes. The theme this month is Jingle Bell Rock.

Four Seasons Food hosted by Anneli from Delicieux and Louisa from Eat your Veg. The theme this month is Party Food. This would be really quick and easy to make and guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.



Let's Cook Christmas Party Food hosted by Nayna from Simply Food.


Cooking with Herbs hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage. The theme this month is cooking with Herbs and Christmas spices so I think my cinnamon will qualify.




 Boil the dates in water 

 whizz in a food processor 

 I bought this cake tin from Ikea

 ready to go in the oven 

 It was a little burnt so I covered it with icing and festive sprinkles! 


 

Recipe adapted from about.com 

300g pitted dates
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
170g butter
375g self raising flour
4 eggs
200g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Preheat the oven to  180C.
  • Place the dates in a medium sized saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the dates.
  • Bring to the boil and remove from the heat.
  • Drain the dates and whizz in a food processor until it has a paste like consistency.
  • Add softened butter, eggs and sugar to the food processor and mix.
  • Add in the flour and baking powder and continuing mixing until well mixed.
  • Pour into a cake tin and bake for about 40 - 50 minutes (depends on the size of your tin). Do keep an eye on your cake as it browns quickly - I'd recommend checking after 20 minutes and then at 5-10 minute intervals as you may need to cover the cake with foil.
  • Decorate with icing sugar and sprinkles or leave plain. 








18 comments:

  1. Such a pretty cake looks wonderful and perfect for christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of this, Ros. I'm a big fan of dates in cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dates and this look absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful - and I love how you cunningly disguised the burnt bits. It looks so pretty and very, very festive. Thanks for sharing in #TheSpiceTrail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Icing covers everything! I'll know to watch the carefully next time!

      Delete
  5. I love cakes with dates...the texture and taste is divine. I also love your cake mould :) This would indeed be a crowd pleaser, perfect party food for Four Seasons Food, thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased with the cake mould - a good find and not too expensive either.

      Delete
  6. I love dates used like this in a cake. They add a real depth of flavour, and I'm sure they are great with cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dates and cinnamon were a perfect pairing.

      Delete
  7. Love this Ros. The idea of cinnamon and dates together sounds so perfect for this time of the year. And it's a simple whizz in thé food processor type of cake,I like that! Plus dates keep a sponge fresher for longer I always find.
    Thanks for entering One Ingredient and Happy Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to make it a whizz all in one cake even though the original recipe stated otherwise and I'm pleased it worked. The flavours complement each other beautifully. Happy Christmas to you too :)

      Delete
  8. Nice use of dates - I'm a sucker for a date in a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What a FABULOUS entry into cooking with herbs for December and my spicy theme, and such lovely photos too! Thanks so much and Happy New Year! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, it's always a pleasure joining in Cooking with Herbs.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!