I probably have too many cake tins but I just couldn't resist buying this Nordicware Jubilee Bundt tin to add to my collection. I've had my eye on it for a while and when it was on a special offer I decided it was a sign and I just had to buy it. I have quite a few of their Bundt tins and the cakes always turn out beautifully. The tins are well designed, solid and non stick if you spray it liberally with cake release spray before baking.
The recipe on the back of the tin was for this orange marmalade cake so I gave it a go but added in an extra layer of marmalade in the middle of the cake. The result was an absolutely stunning cake in appearance and absolutely phenomenal in taste. It was light, bright and refreshing and the marmalade glaze was divine. I think the extra layer of marmalade in the middle of the cake added more flavour and moisture to the cake.
Recipe adapted from Nordicware
For the cake
375g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
350g caster sugar
zest of 2 oranges
1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
For the glaze
1/2 cup marmalade
1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Measure out the sugar in a large bowl and add the orange zest to the sugar. Gently rub the zest into the sugar with your fingers - this helps to release the oils and creates a more intense orange flavour.
- Cream the butter with the orange sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Combine the buttermilk and orange juice in a jug.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour half the batter into the cake tin.
- Add a layer of marmalade as shown -make sure you don't touch the edges as the marmalade will burn.
- Cover with the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for approximately 60 -70 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze by heating the marmalade and orange juice in a small saucepan over low to medium heat. Stir frequently until you get a thick, sticky glaze.
- Pour the glaze on the cake before serving.