Monday 16 February 2015

Banana Ferrero Bundt Cake


I actually made this cake a few weeks back but I think it's an appropriate tribute to Michele Ferrero who died age 89 on 14th February. He is the creator of Nutella and Ferrero Rocher chocolates amongst other confectionary delights. This cake actually came about by chance as I had a lot of Ferrero Rocher chocolates left after baking my Nutella Ferrero Rocher brownies. I looked around my kitchen to see what else I could use and spied the very brown bananas. I also found a tub of creme fraiche in my fridge which I bought for a recipe but never got round to using it. I decided to incorporate everything into a cake and used my bundt tin to make it look special. I was going to melt some Nutella to drizzle on top but I was in too much of a hurry.

The cake turned out beautifully as it had a lovely banana flavour with a good texture. It kept well for a few days and did not dry out mainly due to the creme fraiche in the cake. It felt like a treasure hunt in your mouth as you may or may not get the taste of Ferrero in each bite.

I'm sending this to the No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. As mentioned, I used up lots of leftovers for this cake.


I'm also sharing this with Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily from A Mummy Too




 adding creme fraiche 

 adding chopped ferrero chocolates 

 ready to go in the oven 




Note: I used double this recipe to fill my large bundt tin and had some batter leftover to make a small round cake
You can easily make a 18cm round cake with this recipe.

Ingredients 
225g self-raising flour
225g light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
80ml sunflower oil
2 ripe bananas
150ml creme fraiche
12 Ferrero Rocher chocolates, cut in half 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a large bowl, mix the flour and sugar.
  • Add in the eggs and sunflower oil and mix well.
  • Add the bananas in chunks and the creme fraiche.
  • Stir a few times then add in the chopped Ferrero Rocher chocolates.
  • Pour into a large bundt tin and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

6 comments:

  1. I love using left over sweets in cakes. Such fun! Great combo of flavours here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left over sweets are great for cakes, brownies or cookies!

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed you still had ferrero rocher left over after the brownies! Love the idea of combining them with a banana bake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great combination of nutella and brownies and such a pretty bundt cake too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet this tastes absolutely amazing! I never would have thought to use up a surplus of chocolates in a cake - clever! Thank you for sharing with the #nowastefoodchallenge and apologies for taking so long to comment!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!