The chocolate and peanut butter obsession continues....these are hands down the best cupcakes I've ever had. I saw these on brown eyed baker and knew I had to make it immediately. I often bookmark recipes to be made in the future but I definitely could not wait with this one. I absolutely love dark chocolate which is my favourite type of chocolate and of course peanut butter.
The cake is rich and dense and not in the least bit sweet. Paired with the heavenly peanut butter frosting and it was definitely a match made in heaven. I could eat this everyday :)
I seem to know a lot of June babies as it's been birthdays galore. Dave got a box of these for his recent birthday. How fortuitous then that these are his favourite flavours :) Check back later for Karen's amazing birthday cake (am still awaiting photos as I forgot to bring my camera!)
This is the first time I've baked and photographed in daylight - it makes such a difference! I decided to use a different piping tip and it came out quite well. I still need a lot of practice with my piping skills though! I am thinking of attending a cupcake decorating course with my friend. If anyone has been or has a good suggestion for one in London, please let me know. The one I'm currently looking at is the Make Lounge.
Special mention : Happy Birthday Dave!
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Yields 12 -14 (depending on size of your case)
113g unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
60g dark chocolate, chopped
40g cocoa powder
105g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
115g sour cream
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and combined. (Alternately, you can microwave the mixture at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.) Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in small bowl to combine.
- Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated.
- Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined, then sift remaining flour mixture over and whisk until batter is homogeneous and thick.
- Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.
Peanut Butter Frosting
110g icing sugar
200g smooth peanut butter
70g butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
80ml double cream
- Place the icing sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work.
- Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.