Sunday 10 March 2013

Coffee, maple and pecan cake


I hope everyone had a lovely weekend especially all the mothers out there celebrating Mother's Day.  I spent most of mine baking for an afternoon tea today.  I baked everything from scratch except for the bread. There will be multiple posts to showcase everything we had today. I'm going to start with the layer cake which is a little different from the traditional victoria sponge cake. It's a twist on a coffee and walnut cake using pecans and maple syrup. The recipe is from Ocado which I modified slightly. 

The cake was moist and the coffee and pecan flavours really came through. I am now totally in love with Camp coffee essence.  The icing was on the sweet side but it went well with the cake. A definite winner! Leftovers were given to Yogi and his team - do let me know what you guys think! I wish I'd kept another slice for myself now :)



 pecans, coffee essence and maple syrup

 melt butter and maple syrup for the icing

 base layer

 cross section

Recipe from ocado 
I've added my changes below

For the cake
225g self raising flour
175g caster sugar
175g butter
3 eggs
2 tablespoon coffee essence
100g pecans, roughly chopped

For the icing
100g butter
4 tablespoon coffee essence
2 tablespoon maple syrup
350g icing sugar
Whole pecan nuts to decorate 

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Grease and line 2 sandwich tins.
  • Beat all ingredients for cake except pecans in a mixer until smooth. 
  • Stir in the pecans.
  • Divide evenly into 2 tins and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out to a wire rack to cool completely. 
  • To make the icing, melt the butter and maple syrup in a pan over medium heat.
  • Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. 
  • Pour the butter and syrup mixture into the icing sugar.
  • Add coffee essence. 
  • Beat until smooth. 
  • Sandwich the cakes together with icing. Spread more icing on the top and sides.
  • Decorate with whole pecans as shown or you can sprinkle crushed pecans on top. 







14 comments:

  1. Your cake looks like it turned very lovely. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this looks lovely and has everything i like coffee, maple and pecans!!! :) Have book marked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flavour combination too and made another one the same week!

      Delete
  3. The flavour combination in this sounds wonderful - looks great too, and I bet it went down a treat! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real hit. I had to make another one as I only had 1 small slice the first time and wanted more!

      Delete
  4. Ros this looks brilliant, and the combination of flavours is just perfect! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee & walnut is one of my favourite cakes but maple syrup & pecan may actuallly take it's place. I have a whole jar of maple syrup sitting in the fridge soI will definitely try this one out. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah Ros this look sooo good! love this cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. My lunch yesterday was this cake! It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made it! I see you did exactly what I did with the icing too, definitely needed more of it. It's a great cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake was amazing!! I'm sorry I didn't add a link to your blog as I couldn't remember which blog I saw it on and I spent ages going through all my recent blog reads but just couldn't see it!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!