months of edible celebrations. Check out her website to see what else October is the month for... I was quite surprised! I'm also submitting this recipe to Simple and in Season.
cinnamon crumble apple cake that I made recently.
Recipe from hummingbird bakery cake days
For the cake
60g unsalted butter
140g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
80mls whole milk
3 granny smith apples
For the streusel topping
70g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
40g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
70g soft light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Grease and line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.
- Firstly, make the streusel topping by sifting the flour and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Add the butter and rub together using your fingertips until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and set aside.
- Secondly, make the sponge by creaming the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and then add half to the creamed butter mixture followed by half of the milk.
- Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture and milk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and arrange on top of the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping on top evenly.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cake can be eaten warm or cold. (I had mine warm with ice cream and it was delicious!)