Root beer is one of my favourite soft drinks. In fact, it's probably the only soft drink I like so when I saw this on cupcake crazy's blog, I immediately bookmarked it. It reminds me of my childhood as I used to drink root beer floats (which were probably bad for my health!). I'm so glad I finally got round to making it. It really tastes of rootbeer with a lovely moist texture and it kept well for days afterwards. Did you know that root beer is made using the root of a sassafras plant?
2.5 cups root beer (I used A&W root beer)
125g cocoa powder
57g chocolate, chopped
225g caster sugar
100g dark brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
280g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Butter and flour a Bundt pan.
- Heat 2 cups of root beer, chocolate and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Add the caster sugar and brown sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Combine flour, baking powder, all spice powder and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs into the root beer mixture.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Gently poke the cake all over with a skewer and pour 1/4 cup root beer over the cake.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then invert the cake and allow to cool completely.
- To make the glaze:
- Whisk remaining 1/4 cup root beer with a pinch of salt, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cake when cooled.