Tuesday 19 June 2012

Lemon Yoghurt Cake



I had quite a bit of leftovers in my fridge so in true bakingaddict style, I decided to make a cake! This is a really quick and simple recipe with great results. I had oranges and lemons leftover from making my Valencia Orange and lemon Victoria Sponge Cake and some yoghurt that I bought to make a smoothie but never got round to it. I'd eaten some of it but couldn't eat the whole pot as there was quite a lot of it! It's a mix all in one recipe and the result is a delicious, moist and citrusy cake.

As this recipes uses up leftovers, I'm entering it to two blog challenges this month. The first is Frugal Food Fridays which is run by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and guest hosted this month by Caroline from Caroline Makes.


The second challenge is the no waste food challenge hosted by Kate from Turquoise Lemons where the theme for June is leftovers. 



 yoghurt, lemon, orange

 ready to go in the oven 

 fresh from the oven

 yum!

170g self raising flour
110g sugar
150ml fat free yoghurt
150ml sunflower oil
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
zest of 1 lemon 
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
zest of 1 orange (optional)


Preheat the oven to 180C.
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until well incorporated (or you can use a food processor).
Pour into a suitable cake tin and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Slice and enjoy.
You can make a lemon glaze icing with icing sugar and fresh lemon juice if you wish.


35 comments:

  1. I love this cake because I love lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This no-waste cake fits in so well into the two challenges. This is a great budget-friendly recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget to mention that I'm new to twitter and I've just followed yours. Happy Twittering :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how this looks like a giant muffin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that but now that you mention it yes it does :)

      Delete
  5. The crumb on that cake looks fabulously moist! I find citrus and yogurt cakes like this are absolutely heavenly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Citrus and yoghurt cakes are definitely one of my favourite - dare I say more than chocolate cake!

      Delete
  6. Great cake! Love the moist texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That look likes a wonderfully moist cake. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks an easy&delicious recipe -- when life gives one lemons, one makes lemon cake! I took the liberty of calculating the nutritional content/serving, based on the cake yielding 8 servings: 322 kcals, 5 g protein, 32 g carbs, 19.5 g fat (of which only 2 is sat fat), 68 g sodium. I think the yogurt bumps up the protein yield and it's fat comes from polyunsaturated source -- sooooo, yes, it's still a 'treat', but relatively healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the calculation - makes me feel better having more than 1 slice :)

      Delete
  9. Yum - sounds lovely and moist, thanks for sending it in to Frugal Food Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could enter something to Frugal Food Fridays as it's not been a frugal baking month!

      Delete
  10. The crumb of this cake is perfect! I bet it smells delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does smell amazing - full of citrus zing!

      Delete
  11. What a fab looking cake, so easy to make too. I've got lots of yogurt to use up so I'll definitely be giving this a go. Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a go - it's really easy and tastes great!

      Delete
    2. I made it this weekend and it turned out fantastic! It was so easy to make, tasted great, and best of all I didn't need to buy any ingredients. Thank you so much for this recipe! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm so pleased you like it. I often have all the ingredients to hand and it's so quick to put together :)

      Delete
  12. I bet this cake tastes amazing really cold or served with some ice cream... delicious looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh with ice cream... now why didn't I think of that?

      Delete
  13. This does look deliciously moist...and I love a good zingy cake!! I'd quite like a slice of this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recipe Ros :) Especially since I have lots of lemons and oranges hehe at home but I need to get some fat free yoghurt hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it's really quick and simple. You can also use sour cream as a substitute if it's easier.

      Delete
  15. Love to have a slice of this cake now with my cappuccino! Love it ,so heavenly moist & Oh boy! it's so high too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was impressed by the height too :)

      Delete
  16. i just made it, it is delicious!!! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just put this cake in the oven.... sounds scrummy..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look tasty :)Planning to make this tomorrow. What size eggs did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used medium sized eggs for this recipe. It was definitely very tasty - hope you like it :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!