Monday 25 June 2012

Secret Recipe Club: Chewy Brown Butter Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies



I can't believe it's Secret Recipe Club Group D reveal day again. This month has really flown by and I'm barely keeping up with my blog posts. It's my fault for taking part in so many challenges this month! The secret recipe club is one of my favourite and I always have fun choosing which recipe to make from my assigned blog.

This month I have been assigned Healthy Delicious. Lauren and I have been paired previously for secret recipe club. She chose to make my earl grey tea banana bread and I'm really pleased that I now get an opportunity to make a recipe from her blog. She says she has been cooking for as long as she can remember and initially started her blog as a weight watchers blog. I love this quote from her blog "if it isn't delicious, it isn't worth eating" - definitely a motto I can live by! Most of her recipes take a maximum of 40 minutes to make so it's healthy, delicious and speedy!

I shortlisted quite a few recipes including crispy salted chocolate chip cookies, soft & fudgy chocolate peanut butter cookies, bruleed orange butter cookies, mini pineapple upside down cakes.  As you can tell I was in a cookie mood which is how I came to finally choose these chewy brown butter espresso chocolate chip cookies.

I love baking with brown butter as it has a slight nutty, salty flavour.  The espresso smells amazing here and it's choc full of chips, no pun intended ;) A really good recipe and one that I will definitely be making again. The only change I made to the recipe was reducing the sugar amount and increasing the chocolate chips as it was easier to use the whole bag than to weigh it out!



 brown the butter

 add espresso powder

 ready to go in the oven 

 I wish you can smell this! 

 Yum!! 

Recipe from healthy delicious

113g butter
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
250g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
150g brown sugar
85g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
200g dark chocolate chips (you probably only need 150g) 

  • Preheat the oven to 185C.
  • In a small saucepan, brown the butter over a medium heat. 
  • Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  • The butter should turn a nice golden brown colour and will have a slight nutty aroma. 
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the espresso powder. 
  • Set aside to cool slightly.
  • In a large bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together the brown butter mixture, sugars, and vanilla. 
  • Beat in the egg.
  • Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients — the dough will be very soft but should hold its shape. 
  • Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Drop rounded teaspoons of dough into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  • Bake for 10-14 minutes or until the centers are just set. 


37 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic!

    And I love the quote - how true :) Gave you a stumble and a pin!

    Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the stumble and pin. I love the quote too! Off to check out your SRC post :)

      Delete
  2. These cookies look great! I also made your earl grey tea banana bread - its awesome!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'm glad you like the earl grey banana bread as well :)

      Delete
  3. They look great - I'm in a cookie mood too! Must try baking with browned butter, that's definitely on the 'to-do' list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Browned butter is amazing!! Definitely add it to your 'to-do' list :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I am all over this cookie recipe!!! I too have recently discovered how much I just LOVE baking with browned butter. Such a wonderful flavor. The addition of espresso powder totally appeals to me too! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is seriously amazing - brown butter + espresso + chocolate chips = heaven!

      Delete
  5. These look so gooey and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish that I could grab one of those cookies right now, they look divine.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd send some over but they are long gone - barely lasted the day! Heading over to your site now :)

      Delete
  7. oh my, these sound wonderful! i love brown butter, too, + i bet these cookies are absolutely amazing. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I thought the same when I saw the recipe :)

      Delete
  9. These chocolate chip cookies look awesome. The browned butter sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The browned butter makes a difference :)

      Delete
  10. These cookies look great..I've never made anything with browned butter..must give a try! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try - you won't regret it! I've tried it in a few recipes now and it's really good :)

      Delete
  11. They seems pretty and crispy, exactly what i like! I will to make some today, i got free time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cookies look devilishly delicious !
    I wish I could get my hands on a few right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I still had some to munch on but they're all gone :(

      Delete
  13. Gosh! I must try these heavenly espresso cookies! Looks absolutely delicious & tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I hope you do try them as they are really good :)

      Delete
  14. These look LOVELY Ros and I have always loved chewy style biscuits too.....I am LOVING this SRC involvement, great to see what you chose to make! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I've noticed a trend with my SRC posts - first peanut butter then espresso and chocolate chips! Wonder what I'll make next month? xx

      Delete
  15. I have a complaint to make - I am trying to lose weight and reading this wonderful recipe it is going to make me slip...oh well I think it will be worth - I love chocolate chip cookies and these sound great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely be worth it :) I'll try and post a less tasty recipe next time ;-)

      Delete
  16. Ooooh these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's true - if it isn't delicious i usually pass on a dish. why would i want to put something icky or bland or mediocre in my mouth? a work colleague made a comment to me once (jokingly) "oh honey! a moment on the lips and forever on the hips" as i chowed down on a poutine gone wrong (i work as a server in a restaurant)... and it was from that moment on: if it isn't fabulous - i'm not eating it. if it is fabulous, bring on the extra hip poundage! haha..

    happy src reveal, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you and I also live by the 'moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips' motto :) This was definitely worth the extra hip poundage :)

      Delete
  18. These cookies sound amazing. Darn SRC reveal days and all the delicious cookies that pop up, looks like I'll have to bake something to satisfy my sweets craving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you really have to try these as they are truly amazing! My bookmark lists grows exponentially on each SRC reveal day :)

      Delete
  19. Wonderful choice! (Visiting you from SRC Group D.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this sounds lovely, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Medjool dates are a lusciously sweet and tender variety of dates that have been revered for centuries for their rich flavor and numerous health benefits. These succulent fruits, often referred to as the king of dates, are packed with essential nutrients, including a wide range of vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6. Beyond their nutritional value, Medjool dates also offer a natural sweetness that makes them an excellent alternative to refined sugars in cooking and baking.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!