Saturday 2 August 2014

Chewy Butterscotch Blondies


Baking is back in full swing at The More Than Occasional Baker. It was nice to have a little break from the kitchen but it's equally nice to be back. I got a lovely selection of goodies from America recently which includes a bag of butterscotch chips. I've previously baked cakes and cookies with them so I thought about doing something a little different. There is a recipe on the back of the pack for Chewy Butterscotch Brownies so I decided to give it a go. However, I can't call these brownies as there's no chocolate in sight. Instead I've renamed them blondies.

As the title suggests they are chewy in texture with a lovely crunchy top. The butterscotch worked really well with the brazil nuts but I'm sure pecans will work just as well. This is a really simple treat to make and will be perfect for school fairs, picnics, days out or as a treat for yourself!

I'm entering this to Tea Time Treats hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and co hosted by Jane from Hedgecombers. The theme this month is Picnic Food and Picnic Treats. These are perfect for picnics as you can make them in advance,they are easy to transport and they are individually portioned. 


I'm also entering this to Blogger Bakespiration Challenge hosted by Stuck In The Tree.




 adding butterscotch chips and Brazil nuts

 ready to go in the oven

 slightly crispy edges! 

 delicious! 

Recipe adapted slightly from Nestle Tollhouse

312g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
225g butter
280g brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
100g brazil nuts (or any nut)
312g butterscotch chips (1 pack)


  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
  • Add in the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract.
  • Beat in the eggs, one at a time mixing well between each addition.
  • Finally stir in the butterscotch chips and walnuts.
  • Pour into a baking tray and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  • Allow to cool completely before slicing. 


13 comments:

  1. love the idea of using the packet recipe... I bet they tasted amazing and so American. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to ignore packet recipes but they're actually quite good!

      Delete
  2. I love these blondies and I love Butterscoth!!
    yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so inviting and I bet the butterscotch worked really well with the Brazil nuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used Brazil nuts as it was what I had to hand but it really did work well.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely SPOT on for fab picnic fare Ros and I would LOVE to see these on any picnic I attended! THANKS so much for adding them to Tea Time Treats! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh - these look so good; the sort of thing you could easily eat two or three of with a cup of tea and then wonder why you felt full!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look wonderful. I really like the idea of brazil nuts in it. Something to try soon :) x
    Sisley www.sewwhite.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I could definitely eat a few of these. Butterscotch is such a more-ish flavour. love that you actually used the recipe on the back of the packet too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love butterscotch and wish we can buy these chips here.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!