Thursday 28 August 2014

Chocolate and Mint Loaf


Remember I mentioned in previous posts about getting goodies from a friend who visited America? I asked for Andes creme de menthe baking chips as I've baked with them previously and they were really tasty so I was really pleased she got me a bag of these. Unfortunately it was one of the hottest days of the year when I received these and we were out for the whole day so these sat baking in the car boot. Unsurprisingly when I got to them they had melted completely so I popped them in the fridge when I got home and it solidifed again but in a giant lump. I didn't want to waste them so I decided to incorporate them into a chocolate and mint loaf cake. I put about 1/2 of the bag into the cake and sprinkled some on top of the cake before baking. I used the remainder to make a minty chocolate ganache to go with the cake. The result was a really moist chocolatey and minty cake with a delicious mint chocolate ganache. You could still taste chunks of the mint chocolate in the cake which was my favourite part. I suspect these would be good in brownies too which was my other option. 



 This is what it looked like after it had melted and then been refrigerated 

 



For the cake
100 grams plain flour
100 grams caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
20 g cocoa powder
90 g unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
75 ml sour cream
~150g Andes Creme de menthe baking chips + ~25g for the topping

For the ganache
50 mls double cream
~100g Andes Creme de menthe baking chips

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Place all the ingredients for the cake in a stand mixer and mix until smooth. Alternatively mix everything by hand in a large mixing bowl.
  • Pour the cake batter into a loaf tin.
  • Sprinkle the top with Andes creme de menthe baking chips.
  • Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it's almost boiling.
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the mint baking chips.
  • Continue stirring until smooth.
  • Pour the ganache over the cake before serving. 

14 comments:

  1. This is my kind of loaf, I'm a chocolate fiend and this looks and sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious Ros. I can practically taste the minty ganache through my screen and the inside looks lovely =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks DELICIOUS
    I've been wanting to make chocolate mint cake for quite a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, give it a go as it's really simple and tasty

      Delete
  4. chocolate and mint is by far my favourite combo... or is it chocolate and orange... oh who cares! This looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice loaf! Chocolate and mint together in cake is such a delicious combination. Love this!!!! And that ganache puddle? I could just dive into it.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I always find other countries have far more fun baking ingredients! Love the chocolate mint combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks so so good! I absolutely love chocolate and mint as a combination, you don't see it about very often. I need to make some American friends so I can get my hands on their amazing sweets more easily, they always look so good!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!