Thursday 7 August 2014

No Bake Chocolate and Peppermint Squares


For St Patrick's Day earlier this year, I made a No Bake Chocolate and Peppermint Slice. It was hugely popular and I've had repeated requests since. I had to make something for a leaving lunch at work and I knew that this was one of her favourite treats from me so I decided to make it again but jazz it up a little. I used my individual brownie tin to get individual squares and omitted the chocolate topping. They were equally as popular this time and I wish I'd made more as they disappeared in no time!

It has a buttery oreo base and a rich, minty cream cheese filling topped with Aero bubbles. They are very rich and decadent so these individual portions are perfect. This is a really quick and simple recipe which only requires 5 ingredients. It's more time consuming making these individual portions but I think they look much nicer than making a large tray and slicing it up.

I'm entering this to the Biscuit Barrel Challenge hosted by Laura from I'd Much Rather Bake Than... The theme this month is No Bake.


I'm also sending it to Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from CakeyBoi and Kat from The Baking Explorer. The theme is also No Bake.





 Top tip - place strips of parchment paper before putting the oreo base in as this helps you remove the squares later 

 top with cream cheese filling and decorate then chill in the fridge 

 perfectly portioned treats 



An original recipe by bakingaddict 

For the base
2 packs oreo cookies
100g butter

For the filling
280g cream cheese
60g butter
150g icing sugar
4 teaspoons mint extract
green food colouring

  • Spray a individual brownie pan with non stick spray then line with strips of parchment paper - 2 strips per square.
  • Place the oreo cookies in a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine crumbs. Alternatively, place in a ziplock back and bash with a rolling pin.
  • Melt 100g butter and stir into the cookie crumbs.
  • Press into the base of your tin and allow to set in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
  • Make the filling by placing the cream cheese in an electric mixer and beating on a medium speed until smooth.
  • Add in butter and icing sugar and continue beating.
  • Finally add in mint extract and green food colouring.
  • Spread the filling over the chilled cookie base and smooth with a palette knife. 
  • Decorate with mint aero bubbles as shown.
  • Chill in the fridge for a few hours.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased to see these because I was a big fan of the original. I agree with you, there is something extra special about the individual portions . The minty cheesecake filling makes them so different too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically this is heaven for me. Chocolate. Mint. Cookies. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven for everyone too - there wasn't enough to feed everyone!

      Delete
  3. Great green colour.... really vibrant! The minty cream cheese filling sounds yum.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these and they sound so easy to make, love the idea of the oreo base.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour of these Ros, so vibrant. Thanks for taking part in Treat Petite.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!