Sunday 16 June 2013

Banana cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting



This is a quick and simple recipe and perfect if you have ripe bananas to use up. The yoghurt makes the cake really moist and slightly healthier to balance the peanut butter cream cheese frosting! You can of course eat these as muffins minus the frosting for a healthier snack.

I'm entering these to the Breakfast Club hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen. The theme this month is high fibre and bananas contain soluble fiber. I know cupcakes are not traditional breakfast foods but I'd happily eat one for breakfast :) This challenge was created by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours.


I'm also entering these to Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Anneli from Delicieux this month. The challenge was created by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla from Fab Food 4 All. This is a great recipe to use up leftover bananas and yoghurt.



 peanut butter, yoghurt, cream cheese, bananas 

 I found these cute chocolate banana sweets during my trip in Asia. They taste of banana and I think they look really cute on top of the cupcakes!


Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
155g plain flour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ripe bananas
150g yoghurt
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
140g caster sugar
113g butter
1 egg
1 egg yolk

For the frosting
185g icing sugar
200g cream cheese
113g butter
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add in the egg and then the egg yolk and mix well. 
  • Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
  • Alternate adding flour mixture and yoghurt to the mix.
  • Add vanilla extract and mashed bananas.
  • Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool completely before frosting.
  • To make the frosting, place all ingredients in an electric mixer and beat until smooth.



6 comments:

  1. I'd quite happily eat one of these for breakfast too, they sound lovely! Thanks for entering them into the Breakfast Club this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one eating cupcakes for breakfast :)

      Delete
  2. Banana and peanut butter is a winning combination! And I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with having banana cupcakes for breakfast — I'm a huge fan of banana bread for breakfast, and that's essentially cake! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree about cupcakes for breakfast :) Banana and peanut butter is definitely a winning combination - never fails!

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan of banana cake. Lovely with a nice cup of tea! I never thought of making muffins in the same sort of way but I should have done as it's a great idea! And the PB frosting must be scrummy. Thanks for entering Credit Crunch Munch with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love banana cake too and I can't resist it if it's paired with peanut butter.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!