Wednesday 19 June 2013

Rosemary and walnut biscuits


This is a really simple recipe with great results. When I was brainstorming ideas for AlphaBakes 'R', I thought of raspberries, rhubarb and rosemary. I've already baked something with the first 2 ingredients so I started looking for recipes with rosemary. I had previously bookmarked a rosemary and parmesan biscuit but came across this on BBC Good Food and decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did as it turned out beautifully. The rosemary was really fragrant although a lot of people could not guess what it was initially. The taste is subtle but definitely present and complemented the walnuts. This is a lovely, buttery shortbread with the distinct aroma and flavour of rosemary and crunch of walnuts. 

As mentioned, I am entering this to AlphaBakes which I am hosting this month. This challenge is co-hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes. The letter for June 2013 is 'R' for rosemary. 


I very rarely get a chance to join in Herbs on Saturday hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage as I don't often bake with herbs so I'm really excited to participate this month. 




 rosemary & walnuts 

 cookie dough

knead in the chopped nuts 

 shape into a log and refrigerate

 slice and bake 

 delicious! 



325g plain flour
200g salted butter
125g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
60g walnuts, chopped

  • Put the flour and butter in a food processor and whizz until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. 
  • Add the sugar, egg yolks and rosemary and whizz to a dough. 
  • Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead in the walnuts. 
  • Shape into a log about 5cm across. 
  • Wrap in plastic and chill for an hour.
  • Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160/gas 4. 
  • Slice the dough into biscuits and arrange on a buttered baking sheet. 
  • Bake for 20 minutes then cool.

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this sweet and savoury biscuit... I do love rosemary so much I can't believe I didn't think of it as an R for alphabakes... I use it all the time.. love the biscuit sausage log too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rather pleased with coming up with rosemary :) I'm definitely making this again!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a super combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! I'm now thinking if other nuts will work as well.

      Delete
  3. I am an addict for SAVOURY biscuits and these look just fabulous Ros! THANKS for linking up to Cooking with Herbs!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!