Friday 7 June 2013

Raspberry and pistachio financiers


I've had this recipe bookmarked for ages so I'm pleased that I finally got a chance to make them. I've seen financiers on a lot of blogs but have never made my own so when the letter for this month's AlphaBakes was chosen as 'R', I knew exactly what I was going to make. This is a recipe from Edd Kimber The Boy Who Bakes. I love the use of brown butter and pistachio in this recipe as it really makes this a special treat. The pistachios were really fragrant and paired well with the tart raspberries. The financiers were light, nutty and moist. An absolute treat! 

I'm entering this to AlphaBakes which is hosted by myself this month and Caroline from Caroline Makes on alternate months. The letter is R for raspberries. 


I'm also sending these to Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes for Bookmarked Recipes as I've had this recipe bookmarked for ages.


As raspberries are in season, I think they will also fit in nicely for Simple and in Season hosted by Ren from Ren Behan.


This is my second entry to Four Seasons Food  challenge as raspberries are in season and these little treats are perfectly portable for a picnic. The theme is Picnic Food & Outdoor Nibbles. This challenge is hosted this month by Anneli from Delicieux and on alternate months by Louisa from Chez Foti.



I've just noticed that this month's One ingredient challenge is raspberries which is perfect for this recipe too! I've not participated for a few months so it's fortuitous that Nazima from Franglais Kitchen who is hosting this month chose raspberries for June. This challenge is co-hosted by Laura from How To Cook Good Food.


 pistachio nuts, ground almonds, raspberries 

 My lovely financier mould which has been sitting in my cupboard for months!

 ground pistachio nuts and icing sugar 

 ready to go in the oven 


 yum! 

Recipe reproduced with permission from the author

Makes 12
120g butter
100g pistachio nuts
120g icing sugar
50g ground almonds
50g flour
pinch of salt
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
24 raspberries
Icing sugar to serve

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Put the butter in a medium pan set over medium heat and cook swirling the pan occasionally until the butter turns a medium brown.
  • Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve into a small bowl 
  • Put the pistachio nuts and icing sugar into the bowl of a food processor and process until finely ground. 
  • In a medium bowl mix together the pistachio nut mixture, almonds, flour and salt. 
  • Add the egg whites and vanilla and mix together.
  • Mix in the warmed brown butter a little at a time until combined.
  • Divide the financier batter evenly between the muffin cups and top each with 2 raspberries, pushing them in slightly.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes or until springy to the touch and lightly browned around the edges. 
  • Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely 
  • Dust with icing sugar to serve. 


24 comments:

  1. Love the combinations in this recipe Ros. I've never made Financiers myself either. I do believe I should give them a try one day. Yours look dee...li...cious!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. They were very tasty indeed :)

      Delete
  2. These look gorgeous. I can imagine the rasberries must give this financier such a lovely taste. I would love to know where you got your financier tin - have been looking for one everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it online from siliconemould.com - I bought most of my silicone tins from them and I love them! PS sorry this is so late - I thought I replied earlier!

      Delete
  3. These look so fresh and dainty. I've never baked financiers before. You've reminded me that I need to look through Edd's book again, forgot I had it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very fond of a financier or two and these look great. Pistachios and raspberries sound like a excellent combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever tried a Fancier, and these really do look enticing a great combination of fruit and nut.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavours worked beautifully together and it's like a lovely little buttery cake

      Delete
  6. They look so cute and I love the addition of all those lovely crushed pistachios! They are perfect little nibbly things to take on a picnic indeed! Thank you for another great entry into Four Seasons Food :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like such a perfect mini cake to take to a picnic or to enjoy at tea time. I love the flavours you have used and am glad you have got to use your tin finally!
    Thanks for linking to One Ingredient xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to finally use my tin too - will have to use it more often.

      Delete
  8. I do love a friand - particularly the day after baking when the nutty oils have worked their magic. These look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't last that long but I'll have to remember that for next time - maybe I'll make a double batch so there will be some leftover!

      Delete
  9. I love love LOVE financiers - I'd say they're definitely the new cupcake! Raspberry and pistachio sounds like the perfect combo too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally loving financiers now and they will probably make more of an appearance on my blog :)

      Delete
  10. Mmmm these look so good. Love the raspberry and pistachio combination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for entering these little lovlies to the Four Seasons Food challenge, they would indeed make the perfectly portable nibble!. Loving the combination of raspberries, pistachios and almonds and they look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were really good and thanks for hosting a fab challenge :)

      Delete
  12. Hey Ros, thanks for entering these. They look super good. I am having one of those frustrating 'I want to reach into the screen and grab one' moments.

    The roundup is now live if you would like a look. Really late though as I have been off gallivanting in Cyprus and London.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!