Tuesday 25 June 2013

Chocolate Mint Pattie Brownie


This month has really flown past and I only got round to making my We Should Cocoa entry late last night. I do apologise for the lack of decent photos as it was well past midnight by the time I finished baking and brought it with me to work today so I didn't have time to get a good picture of the brownies. 

We Should Cocoa is hosted by Victoria from A Kick At The Pantry Door. This challenge was created by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog and Chele from Chocolate Teapot.  She chose the special ingredient of mint this month. I love mint and chocolate combinations and had lots of ideas but unfortunately ran out of time. As I'd been promising my colleagues brownies for ages, I decided to make a mint chocolate brownie and I'm so glad I did as they were delicious!  

I used my fail safe fudgy brownie recipe and incorporated some mint patties that I bought from America. I wasn't sure if it would work as the patties are sweet and sticky. In the process of baking, it melted and caramelised at the edges but the brownies were still moist and the mint flavour was present but not overpowering. Personally, I prefer this with mint oreos but I'll have to wait to get a new supply. 





 mint patties from America

 adding it to the brownie mix 

 ready to go in the oven 

 The 'burnt' edges is the caramelised mint pattie which melted and oozed out during baking 

 some of them remained intact! 

200g butter, chopped into smallish cubes
345g sugar
170g chocolate, roughly chopped
165g flour
80g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
30 mint patties, quartered
  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a medium sized pan, melt the butter and chocolate.
  • Then whisk in the sugar, salt and vanilla extract. 
  • Continue mixing until you get a smooth mixture then remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes.
  • Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then the flour and cocoa powder until you get a fudgy mixture 
  • Stir in the chopped mint patties and mix. 
  • Pour the mixture into a square baking pan and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until the top is crisp and the edges are cooked. 
  • Allow to cool in the pan. 
  • Slice and enjoy!




9 comments:

  1. They look delicious, excellent idea melting the mint patties into the brownie. Worthy of a certain tea room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PERFECT Ros and such a GREAT idea to add those peppermint patties to your brownie mix too. DO love peppermint and chocolate as a combination......Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing!

    I love brownies, they are my favorite kind of cake to eat. I shall try and make some of these soon :)

    http://www.mummytothemax.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you made it! Thanks for entering WSC, and my weren't your colleagues lucky to get these treats to go with their coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brownies look amazing. What a great idea too, as you say, not too overpowering with the mint flavour, just a subtle hint - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. chocolate and mint is a match made in heaven - I love the idea of it in a brownie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look like the perfect brownies !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I'm very much liking the sound of these Ros - squidgy mint within a squidgy brownie - yum yum yum. Thanks for making them for We Should Cocoa :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!