Wednesday 24 August 2011

Rose chocolate truffles


Just in time... again.... for the We Should Cocoa challenge.  When I first saw that this month's special ingredient was rose, I was quite excited and nervous at the same time. I've made rose cupcakes previously which turned out fine but have never tried a rose and chocolate combination. I have to admit not too many ideas sprang to mind immediately and I thought and debated about what to make. A lovely colleague of mine gave me some beautiful roses from her garden as I finally came up with the idea of making a rose petal jam and baking that into a cake. I was planning to use Nigella's recipe which uses marmalade and maybe adding some turkish delight as I think they are rose flavoured. Anyway all great plans fail sometimes and I had to resort to plan B which are these simple truffles.  I left it too late, got too caught up with other things and left my roses to wilt :( So at the 11th hour, I decided to make rose flavoured truffles as they were simple, no bake and no fuss, plus it gave me an opportunity to try out my new moulds.  The rose flavour is very subtle even though I added about 3 tablespoons! It was still very rich and decadent. Hopefully I'll do better for the next challenge! 

 rose flavoured heart shaped truffles

 

Note - I made these proportions up as it was what I had and it seemed to work ok. 

150mls double cream
400g dark chocolate (I used green & black organic dark cooking chocolate) 
Rosewater (add to taste) 

  • Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it's just warm but not boiling. 
  • Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a large heatproof bowl.
  • Pour the warm cream over the chocolate pieces and whisk until smooth. 
  • Add rose water (or other extras as desired) to taste. 
  • [I made some coffee flavoured ones as well in case the rose didn't turn out!]
  • Pour mixture into moulds and refrigerate for a few hours until firm. 
  • Alternatively, you can roll the chocolate into a ball and then roll in cocoa powder/icing sugar/dessicated coconut/other topping. 



14 comments:

  1. What gorgeous little molds and I love the rosewater flavour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean 'do better'? These look wonderful - better than some chocolatier treats I've seen. Would love to give rose chocolate a try ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very exotic - the sort of thing I can imagine an Arabian Hareem from 1001 Nights enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look so adorable!... I would never have the patience. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm - they are some fantastic looking truffles ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must try harder indeed! What could be better and more exotic than rose truffles. Making chocolates always scares me. The moulds are great, especially the butterflies. Thanks for taking part,

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great to me. I'm surprised that the rose flavour was subtle after using 3 tablespoons of rosewater but it proves that you need a lot of flavouring in chocolate truffles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet blog , loving looking at all ur recipes , and those smartie cookies had me at buttery and crunchy :-)
    Oh these truffles are so pretty and am sure even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love these sweets, look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think rose and chocolate is a wonderful combo. Your truffles came out so pretty, I love the little butterflies.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! The malty cake from last week looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose is such a subtle flavour but yet so beautiful! I think these sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!