Tuesday 30 August 2011

British Brownies


Following the success of my malty chocolate cake, I decided to try this recipe from Peyton & Byrne's book. I love brownies and am forever on the lookout for the perfect brownie recipe. I prefer mine on the gooey side with a lovely crisp top and these came pretty close. They were certainly devoured in record time at work!

300g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
100g unsaltd butter
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 eggs
50g light brown sugar
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g plain flour
100g chopped walnuts


  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • Butter a 20cm square baking tin and line with baking paper.
  • Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl, add the salt and melt over a pan of barely simmering water. 
  • In another bowl, break up the eggs and add the sugars and vanilla until incorporated. 
  • Whisk the egg mixture into the melted chocolate, then gently fold in the flour and walnuts until just mixed. 
  • Pour the batter into the prepared tin. 
  • Bake for about 25 minutes or until set.
  • A skewer inserted should come out a little wet. 
  • Leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting into squares. 


10 comments:

  1. Love brownies, these look delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice twist on the brownie! I love malted drinks so I know I'd love these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I wish more of my family liked brownies so I could bake them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them gooey with the crisp top too and British brownies sound soo good.
    Malt in there sure will have malt fans excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Изглежда много,много вкусно !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely blog you have, so many delicious bakes. The brownies look particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!! All the best brownies have a gooey centre in my very humble opinion. Really must bake something from this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing, you're making me hungry! I absolutely love brownies, gooey centred brownies especially. Haven't made them in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have a beautiful crackle on top, so important in a good brownie i think!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't made these ones yet, but they are of course on the list. I've come very close to making perfect brownies, but haven't managed to post about it yet. Completely agree about squidgy middle and crisp top - mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!