Sunday 21 August 2011

Malty Chocolate Cake


I bought Peyton & Byrne's book quite a few months back but have yet to make anything from it. Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog posted about this and I absolutely had to make it. I love chocolate and malt and it definitely reminds me of my childhood days. I made maltesers cupcakes previously which were amazing but this recipe is even better!! I love the addition of milk chocolate chunks - it's a really rich, moist, decadent cake.
I have to apologise for the photos as my loaf fell apart as I was slicing it so these are the only 2 intact slices. Everyone at work loved the cake and it was eaten up very quickly despite it's slightly unappetising look.


 add melted chocolate 

 ready to go in the oven 

Recipe from Peyton & Byrne (page 122)

70g light brown sugar
110g dark brown sugar
140g self raising flour
1 tablespoon malt powder such as Horlicks
pinch of salt
125g unsalted butter, softened and cut into 1 cm pieces
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g good quality dark chocolate (I used Green & Black's organic dark cooking chocolate)
110ml whole milk
65g milk chocolate, broken into pieces (I used Green & Black's)

  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Butter a 900g loaf tin and line the bottom with parchment paper.
  • Combine the brown sugars, flour, malt powder and salt in a bowl.
  • Drop in the softened pieces of butter and beat until pale and creamy.
  • Add the egg and vanilla and beat again until the batter is aerated and fluffy. 
  • Place the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
  • Stir occasionally until the chocolate is just melted and then take off the heat. 
  • Beat the melted chocolate into the cake mixture, then add the milk and beat to combine.
  • Finally, stir in the milk chocolate pieces and scrape the batter into your prepared loaf tin. 
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  • Remove from the oven and let the cake cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 



11 comments:

  1. I saw Choclette's post an thought the same... really glad you made it cos I couldn't! your's looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I know I would just love this as I love malt and chocolate together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it was a success, it's one I shall be making again for sure. I wonder why it didn't slice very well, mine was OK on that front - luckily, deliciousness will out:) Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone loves this book - I've got it but not baked anything from it yet. Your cake looks lovely - we're all too hung up on looks and it's usually the simpler looking cakes that taste the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great!! I'm a sucker for anything with chocolate in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is certainly watering! This looks amazing!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought that book too :). I've tried one recipe, it was a flop, but I'm looking forward to trying something else. I'm glad to hear that this recipe was a success. It looks really chocolatey!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have this book and as yet I haven't baked a single thing from it! Really must fix that, Looks soooooooo good ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love malted chocolate and so a malty chocolate cake sounds absolutely divine. Gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!