It's time for Secret Recipe Club Group D reveal day again. I love the secret recipe club and it's so popular that there is a waiting list to join. Each month we are assigned a blog in secret and we then choose 1 recipe to make and blog about on the same reveal day which is today. I love discovering new blogs and always find it difficult to choose just one recipe. However, I have noticed a bit of a trend in my secret recipe posts - peanut butter. No surprise as I love it and yes this recipe has peanut butter.
This month I was assigned The Spiffy Cookie written by Erin who is a graduate student working towards her PhD in microbiology. Erin and I have a lot in common as her favourite food group is dessert - yes! and more importantly, she says "Peanut Butter + Chocolate = one of the best combinations ever" Enough said.
Obviously I had to choose a recipe with peanut butter and chocolate and with a blog name like the Spiffy Cookie I decided it had to be a cookie and chose this delicious Malted Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Cookie. I ended up making a lot of changes to suit what I had to hand but I was really pleased with the final results. The cookies were chewy with a crisp edge and there was a distinct taste of peanut butter. One of my colleagues texted me to say "Your biccies (cookies) have saved our lives today. Yum Yum"
Other recipes that I've bookmarked are Nutella Chunk Cookies, Brownie Peanut Butter Cups, Chocolate Root Beer Bundt Cake and Funfetti Truffle Chocolate Cupcakes.
plain flour, peanut butter, chocolate malt (couldnt find my original malt), brown sugar, butter, 3 types of chocolate chips - dark, milk, peanut butter and egg
The original recipe can be found here
Below is my modified version
75g peanut butter
150g brown sugar
50g malted milk powder like Ovaltine
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
110g peanut butter chips
50g milk chocolate chips
50g dark chocolate chips
- Cream butter, peanut butter, sugar and malt in an electric mixer for a few minutes.
- Add in vanilla extract and egg.
- Sift in flour, bicarb and salt.
- Finally stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Grease and line 2 baking trays.
- Places scoops of cookie dough spaced apart on a baking tray and bake for 8 - 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The cookies will harden on cooling - don't worry if they look soft and crumbly when you first take them out of the oven.