Happy Halloween everyone! This is a quick and easy project to make for Halloween. There's still time to bake these tomorrow as it's really simple and does not require any specialist equipment. The kids will have lots of fun decorating these! Life has been a bit hectic lately so I've not had a chance to do as much Halloween baking as I would have liked. I baked these late last night and they were a real hit at work today. I used a favourite chocolate cupcake recipe which is a mix all in one recipe with generous servings (makes 18 cupcakes). As I was short on time, I made a quick chocolate ganache to spread on top and decorated the cupcakes to look like spooky spiders. I couldn't find any black liquorice lace sweets but managed to find strawberry cables which is what I used for the legs. The eyes are made of white chocolate buttons and milk chocolate chips. The cupcakes were chocolatey and the ganache was divine. Great cupcakes on their own but much more fun eating all the parts of the spider too!
It's also perfect for #FoodYearLinkUp hosted by Charlotte from Charlotte's Lively Kitchen. There were lots of events for the Food Bloggers Calendar in October and I am sad to have missed out on quite a few but pleased that I've managed one Halloween bake.
For the cupcakes - Makes 18 cupcakes
250g caster sugar
80g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon chocolate extract (you can also use vanilla extract)
For the chocolate ganache
150ml double cream
150g dark chocolate
For the decorations
White chocolate buttons
Milk chocolate chips
Strawberry cables or liquorice lace sweets
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place all the ingredients for the cupcake into a large mixer bowl and mix on low - medium speed for a few minutes until well mixed.
- Scoop into cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Make the chocolate ganache by heating the cream gently until bubbles just form.
- Add in chopped dark chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Decorate the cupcakes as shown above.