The idea for these ice cream cupcakes came from creating a summer recipe to pair with a glass of Chablis Wine for the Chablis Wine Blogger Challenge. The Petit Chablis is a young wine and has floral and citrus notes. I started thinking about cake pairings and decided on a light and fruity bake. As it's almost summer, I thought it would be fun to bake them in ice cream cones. Instead of my usual buttercream icing, I decided on a yoghurt berry topping to keep it light, refreshing and healthy. The flavours also pair well with the Petit Chablis and would be perfect for a summer garden party or BBQ. The sponge is light and lemony and pairs well with the slightly tangy berry topping. Everyone thought the cakes were light and refreshing just like the wine!
golden caster sugar, self raising flour, cornflour, butter, eggs, lemon, fat free greek yoghurt, berry assortment
Makes 10 ice cream cupcakes
For the cupcakes
10 ice cream cones with a flat base
115g golden caster sugar
115g self-raising flour, sifted
115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the topping
2 x 170g pot of fat free greek yoghurt
Selection of berries - I used strawberries, blackberries and blueberries -approximately 120g
1 tablespoon of caster sugar (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon zest and juice.
- Add the flour and cornflour
- Spoon into ice cream cones until 2/3 full and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- In the meantime, make the berry compote by placing all the berries in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of caster sugar.
- Simmer on a low heat until the sauce thickens and it turns into a syrup. This will take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Place the yoghurt in a large bowl and loosen it by stirring it through with a spoon.
- Add the berry compote and swirl it gently.
- Place the yoghurt berry mixture in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and place 1 large 'star' on top of each cupcake.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
Disclaimer: I was sent a bottle of Petit Chablis and Chablis wine for the blogger challenge. All opinions expressed are my own.