Sunday 11 May 2014

Homemade Waffles with bacon, berries, poached egg and maple syrup


I've made this quite a few times now for brunch but have not gotten round to sharing it until now. It's a decadent and indulgent brunch perfect for lazy weekends. I don't have a waffle maker but I found a silicone waffle baking mould for a few quid at Aldi which works perfectly. It does take a while to cook compared to using a waffle iron but it does the job and it doesn't break the bank! I have found that it tastes even better if you pop it in the toaster on a low setting after it's cooked for added crispiness. The waffles also keep well overnight and you can re-heat them in a toaster. This particular waffle was served with crispy bacon, berries, maple syrup and a poached egg. 

I'm sending it to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes. The theme is Bank Holiday Bakes and we are asked to share what we make to relax, share with friends or take on picnics. 





 selection of berries, milk, flour, sugar, eggs, bacon and maple syrup 


 making the waffle batter in my food processor

this is the silicone waffle mould which I sprayed with non stick spray

 1 recipe makes 7 waffles

 fresh from the oven



 with crispy bacon, berries and a drizzle of maple syrup 

 and a poached egg on top! 

Makes 7 waffles 
Recipe adapted very slightly from allrecipes.com

250g plain flour
400mls milk
100mls sunflower oil or vegetable oil
10g caster sugar
2 eggs 
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt 

To serve
Bacon - cooked
Berries
Maple Syrup 
Poached egg (optional) 

  • Preheat oven to 180C. 
  • Place all the ingredients for the waffle in a food processor - I used the liquidiser and blitz until smooth. Be careful not to overmix. Allow the mixture to rest for at least 30 minutes before using. You may refrigerate the mixture at this point if needed. 
  • Cook bacon in a grill or frying pan and set aside.
  • Poach an egg if using. 
  • Pour the waffle batter into the waffle mould and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked. 
  • Place the waffles in a toaster on a low setting for about 30 seconds for extra crispiness. 
  • Serve with crispy bacon, berries, maple syrup and a poached egg or fillings of your choice. 




4 comments:

  1. Looks lush - I might have to turn up on your doorstep for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of bacon and fruit! Especially topping a freshly made waffle....... Why haven't I tried that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sweet and salty contrast, definitely one to try.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!