I baked this for J's work colleagues and it was very well received. I've made the same cake using Wensleydale & cranberry cheese previously but I saw the apricot version and decided to give it a go. We debated about pears or apples and decided to go with apples which worked beautifully. The cake is incredibly light and the crispy cheese bits are delicious! It was a good combination of sweet and salty.
Recipe from Wensleydale Creamery
175g golden caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp milk
175g self raising flour
2 apples – peeled, cored & sliced + 1/2 apple for the topping
125g Real Yorkshire Wensleydale Cheese with Apricots
1 tbsp Demerara Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Grease a 20cm / 8" cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, then beat in the milk and flour.
- Fold in the apples and crumble over the cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into a tin.
- Arrange the apple slices (from approx 1/2 an apple - depends on your cake tin size) on top and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
- Bake for 55 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin.