Sorry for the long absence, I've been so busy I've not even had time to bake! Gasp!! Yes I know such a sad state of affairs. I still have a few things to blog about that I've baked in the past few weeks to months so all is not lost. I made this for a colleague Ruthie's leaving do. I was out that night so didn't have time to whip up a proper cake but made a "cheat's" cake instead with this popcorn cake. She loved it though :) I ended up making two cakes as I bought way too much popcorn! I put jelly babies (Ruthie's favourite) and smarties in hers along with pretzels and marshmallows. I used mint M&M'S for the second one, which my lovely friend Lisa brought all the way from Sydney for me - thank you Lisa!
Everyone at work really enjoyed this cake. I have to say this is my least favourite cake/dessert that I've ever made mainly because I'm not a fan of the main ingredients - popcorn and marshmallow. This was actually my first time popping popcorn in the microwave! It was fun watching the bag expand and the smell of freshly popped corn is amazing!
Don't let me put you off as it's super easy to make (no baking required) and will most definitely be a hit with parties and children. Check out the post that inspired this cake.
2 boxes of popcorn which was 1 box too many. I didn't realise there are 3 packets in one box. Looks like I'll be making a lot more of these unless anyone has any other recipes for popcorn?
For 1 'cake'
1 bag of popcorn
2 cups of candy - smarties, m&m's, jelly babies, etc
1.5 cups broken pretzel sticks
450g mini marshmallows
1 bundt pan
- Grease bundt pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Pop the popcorn in the microwave as per instructions on the box.
- Pick out the kernels that didn't pop.
- Mix in the candy and pretzel sticks or whatever you want to use.
- Melt butter over a low heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and pour over popcorn mixture.
- Stir until combined and press into the prepared bundt pan.
- Cover with foil and let your cake set for at least an hour - I put mine in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy.