Wednesday 2 January 2013

Happy 3rd Birthday and a Coffee & Walnut Cake


Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year! It's my blog's 3rd birthday today so I had to make something to mark the occasion. Apologies in advance for the quality of the photos - the lighting was very poor and there were a lot of shadows! I can't believe that my blog is entering it's 3rd year - when I started it, I wasn't even sure if it would last for a few months! I had a look back at my baking/blogging resolutions from last year and am pleased to announce that I stuck to all of them.  2012 was a great year for my blog. The highlights have been:

  • Co-hosting AlphaBakes with Caroline from Caroline Makes - it has been a resounding success and we are very grateful to all our AlphaBakers. 
  • Joining in a record number of blog challenges for 2012 which I hope to continue in 2013. 
  • Writing a record number of 166 posts for the year (compared to 107 in 2011 and 106 in 2010
I'm not sure what lies ahead for 2013 but I know I definitely want to continue baking and blogging.  However, the pace will be slower as I have other priorities for 2013 and maintaining my blog plus hosting AlphaBakes on alternate months is like a second full time job! 


On to the cake - this is a coffee and walnut cake using fresh walnuts from my recent trip to Australia.  The cake was moist and delicious with a lovely coffee aroma.  I wanted to try a new decorating technique which didn't quite work so if anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful! 

  fresh walnuts from Australia 

 cakes ready to go in the oven 

 brush with coffee syrup once cooked 

 my new textured rolling pin - you probably can't see it clearly from the photos but it says happy birthday and has a lovely design with it 

 I rolled out a piece of yellow fondant then rolled the textured pin on top. I then sprinkled some icing sugar to bring out the pattern which you can make out if you look closely. 

 I covered the cake with coffee buttercream and then placed the embossed fondant on top  

  delicious cake! 

I've never used a textured rolling pin before - does anyone know how to make the patterns stand out more? I tried dusting some glitter powder on top but that didn't work. Is it best to use it for details rather then covering the whole cake? 

Recipe for cake and buttercream can be found here 

31 comments:

  1. Happy 3rd Birthday! Looking forward to seeing what you post this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't believe my blog is 3 years old already!

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you back and with a birthday cake for your blog! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not back yet so normal services won't resume till feb/march

      Delete
  3. I bought myself one of those rolling pins but haven't used it yet! I was expecting the pattern to stand out quite well so it's a shame that it doesn't. I wonder if it would lok better on white fondant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite disappointed too! Maybe it's just me - will have to try it with white fondant and see what happens.

      Delete
  4. Happy 3rd Birthday! Can't believe how much you posted in 2012, you are a crazy blogging machine! haha! and congrats on the success of Alphabakes! Happy New Year, and can't wait to hear all about your trip! Does that mean you're back now? if you send me your address I can send you the goodies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem! I can't believe how much I've postd too. I'm not back yet but will definitely send you my address when I am. A true baking addict finds a way to bake anywhere and anytime lol

      Delete
  5. Happy Blog Birthday! I've been in awe of how much you've acheived (and blogged) this year - can't wait to see what you do in the months to come. But I hope that the new job etc will work out well for you - you are bound to have other priorities, so even if you don't blog as much, I'm sure we'll all look forward to it when you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie - it's always nice to hear from you. I'm really pleased with what I've achieved in 2012 so I think 2013 can be a slower pace for my blog :)

      Delete
  6. Wow congratulations on reaching your third blogiversary...that's impressive! Are you back from your hols now? Re the textured rolling pin...I don't think it really ever stands out that much but may obviously depend on the pressure you apply too. The dusting helped it stand out...I'd quite like a slice as coffee and walnut is one of my favourites! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not back yet but managed to find the opportunity to bake in true baking addict style. Half my suitcase is baking goods and equipment! I love coffee and walnut cake too :)

      Delete
  7. Happy Blogoversary, Ros!!! Here's to many more years of deliciousness!!!

    I love the combination of Coffee and Walnut. I am so saving this post! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Louise - really nice to hear from you again. I hope everything is going well with you.

      Delete
  8. glorious cake and congratulations on the 3rd year... I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a lovely cake! it looks tasty and pretty :)

    i have used those textured mats and i have the same issue as you. the patterns don't really stand out once you place your fondant on a cake and smooth it out. they do work beautifully on cookies though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try it out on cookies then otherwise my rolling pin will go to waste!

      Delete
  10. Happy 3rd birthday to your blog. Your cake looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was really tasty and disappeared in no time!

      Delete
  11. Happy 3rd Birthday for your blog! Also, the cake looks fab; not tried a patterned rolling pin before. Will have to keep an eye out for one haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 3rd blogday. I'm very impressed by 166 posts in a year - that's a huge effort. I've seen patterned rolling pins but I've never invested in one. I'm not convinced that I ever will now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I can't believe I wrote that much either. Definitely a slower year this year.

      Delete
  13. Happy blog anniversary. Your cakes looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 3rd year - coffee and walnut cake is one of my favorites and a great way to celebrate your blogs anniversary! happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourites too. Happy (belated) new year.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations Ros, what a year it's been for you and SO MANY posts. So many challenges too - you must hold the record for most challenges entered for any one bake. I think your cake looks lovely, but have no advice to offer as decorating is most definitely not my strong point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette! It has been an amazing year and I am looking forward to seeing what this year will bring. Perhaps working on my cake decorating skills!

      Delete
  16. Happy 3rd blog anniversary Ros! What a fabulous cake to celebrate the awesome day! Love coffee & walnut combo & it certainly looks FAB! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit! Time really flies when you are having fun :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!