It's been months since I last participated in the Improv Cooking Challenge hosted by Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. It's a monthly party where everyone is assigned the same 2 ingredients and creates something with it whether it's sweet or savoury. This month the 2 ingredients are cinnamon and sugar which immediately made me think of cookies! I found this delightful recipe which uses soft caramel in the cookies but as I didn't have any to hand, I used caramel buttons. The cookies were fragrant and smelt amazing whilst baking. I would not have combined cinnamon and caramel previously but they do go well together.
I'm also sending this to Tea Time Treats hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and co-hosted by Kate from What Kate Baked. The theme this month is The Biscuit Tin and Cookie Jar so I think these would fit perfectly.
140g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
280g plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
pinch of salt
40 caramel drops or caramel sweets
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, cinnamon and mixed spice and add to the mixture.
- Scoop small balls of dough on to the baking tray spaced apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place a caramel on top of each cookie and bake for a further 6-7 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.