Lemon and blueberry is one of my favourite combinations. I had some leftover yoghurt and blueberries that needed to be used so I came up with these little treats. The cakes were moist and light and packed full of blueberries. They are pretty healthy if you omit the icing as it has little fat, low fat yoghurt and lots of fruit!
I'm sending this to Made with Love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior as it's made from scratch and definitely made with love.
I'm also sending this to Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Anneli from Delicieux this month. The challenge was created by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla from Fab Food 4 All. This is a great recipe if you have leftover yoghurt and fruit to use up.
I'd also like to enter this to a new blogging challenge this month called Four Seasons Food Challenge created by Anneli from Delicieux and Louisa from Chez Foti. It's hosted by Anneli this month and the theme is Picnic Food & Outdoor Nibbles. These cupcakes are perfect for a picnic and as mentioned blueberries are very much in season.
And another new blogging challenge I've just been told about called Feel Good Food hosted by Victoria from A Kick At The Pantry Door. The idea is to share recipes that are healthy, delicious and nutritious. There's a different theme each month and this month the theme is blueberries so these are perfect for the challenge.
Lemon ad Blueberry Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
Omit frosting and eat it as a healthy muffin if you want to reduce the calorie count!
Lemon and blueberry cupcakes
200g self raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
75g golden caster sugar
200g blueberries (reserve 24-36 for pushing on top of cupcakes before baking)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
150mls low fat yoghurt
50mls sunflower/vegetable oil
Lemon buttercream icing
200g icing sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda in a medium bowl.
- Stir in sugar, blueberries and lemon zest.
- Add eggs, yoghurt, oil and lemon juice in the centre and mix well.
- Divide into 12 cupcake cases and bake for approximately 16-18 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- To make icing, mix all ingredients in an electric stand mixer until smooth.
- Pipe or spread on top of cupcakes and decorate as desired.