If you read my blog regularly, you'll know that I love creating recipes. Sometimes they work and other times they don't. I usually start with ingredients that I want to use and make it up as I go along. This month's AlphaBakes letter is F. One of the ideas I brainstormed was fennel so I started thinking about flavour combinations that would work. I had some pistachio nuts left over from making my first AlphaBakes entry so I knew I definitely wanted to use those. One of my colleagues at work can't eat sugar but is ok with honey or agave so I started thinking about a healthy-ish, no sugar recipe that incorporates fennel and pistachio and came up with this. There was a bit of experimenting in the kitchen but I think I finally got it right.
It's quite a soft, crunchy cookie which seems a little dry when you first bite into it but the flavours slowly come alive in your mouth and you are left wanting more. The fennel complements the pistachio very well and the honey added a very subtle fragrance and pleasant sweetness. The wholemeal and spelt flour made it feel healthy with a satisfying crunch.
As mentioned, I am entering this to AlphaBakes as F is for fennel. It's hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes this month and co-hosted by myself on alternate months.
I'm also entering this to Made with love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior where the idea is to make everything from scratch.
As fennel is a herb, I'm also entering it to Cooking with Herbs/Herbs on Saturday hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage.
blitz the pistachios briefly until it's coarsely ground. Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
An original recipe by bakingaddict
Makes 26 cookies
200g wholemeal flour
50g spelt flour
60mls olive oil
1.5 tablespoons water
1 heaped teaspoon fennel seeds
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Place the pistachios in a food processor and blitz in 10 second bursts until it's coarsely ground.
- Set aside approximately 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on top of cookies before baking.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the processor and blitz until you get a dough like consistency - the dough will be quite sticky.
- Place a small scoopful of cookie dough spaced apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle some of the reserved chopped pistachios on top of each cookie and bake for approximately 8 - 10 minutes until it's golden brown at the edges.
- Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.