Monday 26 August 2013

SRC: Cream Cheese Pound Cake


It's Secret Recipe Club reveal day again. I was really organised this month and made my entry within a week of receiving my assignment so it feels like I've been waiting forever to share this amazing recipe with you. Just a quick recap in case you are wondering what the secret recipe club is about. The idea is very simple - each blogger is assigned another blogger in secret and you must choose 1 recipe to make and post on the same day of each month. It's always a tough choice choosing just one recipe and this month is no different.

My secret blog is Lynsey Lou's written by Lynsey who started food blogging in June 2008.  She has a passion for food and cooking, loves to entertain, research new recipes, read cookbooks and talk about food.  She grew up in the kitchen which is the heart of her current home. She was surrounded by talented family cooks and likes trying new types and styles of food. 

She has a lot of delicious recipes on her blog, both sweet and savoury. Obviously I went for the sweet stuff but it was really hard to pick one recipe as I wanted to try everything on there! In the end I decided on this Cream Cheese Pound Cake as I had seen this recipe before and bookmarked it but never got round to it. It sounds so simple yet delicious. Sometimes simple is best and this is definitely the case.  The cake was moist and light with a slight lemony tang to it from the lemon zest. Everyone at worked enjoyed it and needless to say there were no leftovers!

Other recipes that I have also bookmarked for future use are brown butter banana muffins with streusel topping, low fat chocolate zucchini muffins, outrageous oreo crunch brownies (how could I resist?) and peanut butter pie.



 flour, sugar, cream cheese, butter, eggs and lemon

 ready to go in the oven  

 I sprinkled lots of icing sugar and served it with fresh strawberries 

 delicious! 

Recipe from Lynsey Lou's - the only change I made was to reduce the amount of sugar

375g flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
340g butter
225g cream cheese
400g sugar
6 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.
  • Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
  • Add the sugar, a little at a time and continue mixing until light and fluffy. 
  • Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
  • Add the vanilla and lemon zest.
  • Finally, add the flour mixture and mix until just mixed. Be sure not to over mix the batter.
  • Pour into a large bundt tin and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  • Place the cake on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 20 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. 
  • Sprinkle liberally with icing sugar and serve with slices of strawberries.


33 comments:

  1. Your cake looks delicious, and I like the addition of the strawberries with the slice, not only are you getting a lush cake, but 1 of your 5 day :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty presentation with the powdered sugar and strawberries! Your cake looks completely yummy!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm, yumm!! That looks so moist and delicious - great SRC choice this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful production! I am always in awe when people make cakes, as it is such an ordeal for me EVERY SINGLE TIME ;0)

    Enjoy your Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe of the other recipes, I love baking cakes :)

      Delete
  5. FABULOUS entry Ros and as soon as I saw the thumbnail photo and JUST knew this was your post! :-) Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks gorgeous AND delicious. I have a few different pound cake recipes saved aside and the cream cheese one always looks like it'd be the best.

    Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cake was amazing, definitely making it again.

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious! I love cream cheese in baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious recipe! This looks incredible--great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great SRC pick! Great to serve with summer berries:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get some blueberries and raspberries for next time :)

      Delete
  10. Last month I made my recipe straight away and it was so hard to wait. Love the sound of this cake. Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I might be organised again for September :)

      Delete
  11. FANTASTIC pick!! I'm pinning this immediately to make. I love how this cake sounds!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a really good cake - definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful cake! Awesome pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go...I was the opposite and didn't get mine made till Sunday afternoon :/

    This looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful cake! The strawberries are such a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a beautiful cream cheese pound cake,so spongy and looks delicious with dusted sugar and berries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks delicious and your strawberries are gorgeous and ripe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strawberries were a little over ripe actually but still tasted good!

      Delete
  17. Looks great Ros. There's always something so attractive about a simple dusting of icing sugar on top of a cake. Can definitely see why there were no leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get those organized months too, once in a while. This is the essence of pound cake in my opionion. Love a recipe with cream cheese in it! Wonderful choice this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to be organised again for September. Yes this is definitely the essence of pound cake.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!