It's Secret Recipe Club reveal day again. I was really organised this month and made my entry within a week of receiving my assignment so it feels like I've been waiting forever to share this amazing recipe with you. Just a quick recap in case you are wondering what the secret recipe club is about. The idea is very simple - each blogger is assigned another blogger in secret and you must choose 1 recipe to make and post on the same day of each month. It's always a tough choice choosing just one recipe and this month is no different.
My secret blog is Lynsey Lou's written by Lynsey who started food blogging in June 2008. She has a passion for food and cooking, loves to entertain, research new recipes, read cookbooks and talk about food. She grew up in the kitchen which is the heart of her current home. She was surrounded by talented family cooks and likes trying new types and styles of food.
She has a lot of delicious recipes on her blog, both sweet and savoury. Obviously I went for the sweet stuff but it was really hard to pick one recipe as I wanted to try everything on there! In the end I decided on this Cream Cheese Pound Cake as I had seen this recipe before and bookmarked it but never got round to it. It sounds so simple yet delicious. Sometimes simple is best and this is definitely the case. The cake was moist and light with a slight lemony tang to it from the lemon zest. Everyone at worked enjoyed it and needless to say there were no leftovers!
Other recipes that I have also bookmarked for future use are brown butter banana muffins with streusel topping, low fat chocolate zucchini muffins, outrageous oreo crunch brownies (how could I resist?) and peanut butter pie.
Recipe from Lynsey Lou's - the only change I made was to reduce the amount of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
225g cream cheese
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sugar, a little at a time and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Finally, add the flour mixture and mix until just mixed. Be sure not to over mix the batter.
- Pour into a large bundt tin and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 20 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Sprinkle liberally with icing sugar and serve with slices of strawberries.