Monday 28 July 2014

SRC: Butterscotch Brownies


Welcome to July's Secret Recipe Club Group D Reveal day! I love the Secret Recipe Club and look forward to reveal day every month. The concept is simple - each blog is assigned another blog in secret and the idea is that you choose a recipe to make from your secret blog and reveal it on the same day. It's a great way to discover new blogs and exciting recipes. 

This month, my assignment is Bewitching Kitchen written by Sally. She was born and raised in Brazil but now resides in Manhattan working as a biochemist. Her approach to cooking reflects the timeless advice of Julia Child, using a famous quote by Harvey Steiman: “Everything in moderation, including moderation…”

She writes a beautiful blog full of lovely recipes and tales from her life. I strongly encourage you to visit her blog and to see for yourself. There's certainly never a dull moment in the Bewitching Kitchen!

As always, it was difficult to pick just one recipe to make but my eyes were immediately drawn to these Butterscotch Brownies. I love brownies and the simplicity of this recipe appealed to me. I've never made a brownie recipe with only 1 egg or less than a block of butter! As Sally mentions on her blog, the recipe only makes a very small batch so I ended up using my loaf tin instead of my square tin. The brownies were deliciously fudgey and gooey as a brownie should be. You can clearly taste the walnuts and chocolate especially since I put more than the suggested amount in! 

Other recipes that I've bookmarked to try are Chocolate Bread, Lemon Shortbread Bars, Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Tuxedo Cake




 butterscotch base - melted butter and brown sugar 

 adding the nuts and chocolate chunks

 ready to go in the oven 

 packed full of walnuts and chocolate chunks! 

Recipe adapted slightly from Bewitching Kitchen

75g flour
1 tsp baking powder
65g unsalted butter
180g brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
100g chopped walnuts (OR omit the walnuts, and double the choc chips amount)
100g chocolate chips
(I would recommend 50g walnuts + 50g chocolate chips)
  • Preheat the oven to 175C.
  • Grease and line a small loaf tin.
  • Melt the butter and then stir in the brown sugar. 
  • Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
  • Stir in the flour followed by the walnuts and chocolate chunks. 
  • Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is set and the middle is still slightly wobbly.
  • Allow to cool completely before slicing. 


28 comments:

  1. Hello there! So glad that you got to browse through my Bewitching Kitchen, hope you had fun.... indeed, never a dull moment (I am just thinking of Buck dropping a dead mouse at the door of the patio yesterday, and yes, I must agree with you)

    Hope you are having a wonderful Reveal Monday!

    I love butterscotch too, and should re-visit these brownies....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I really need to eat some breakfast before going through any more reveals. I am drooling here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm not a huge butterscotch fan, I'm not one to decline a brownie when it is in front of me!! These look delicious! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love brownies and I think with butterscotch would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria. They were very tasty indeed

      Delete
  5. These look super decadent. Just how I like my brownies. Yum, yum! Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had my eye on Sally's butterscotch brownies for ages! So glad you tried them. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are absolutely amazing, highly recommend them!

      Delete
  7. Wow these sound so rich and decadent. That melted butter and brown sugar base--- drooling. Great pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely delicious. Definitely making this again!

      Delete
  8. I just love Sally's blog, and anything she posts has got to be good! Butterscotch is under appreciated. I will be making these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally's blog is amazing. I hope you give these a try.

      Delete
  9. those look like incredibly delicious and decadent brownies! i could definitely devour one right now..

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a GREAT SRC pick Ros and I am a HUGE fan if all things butterscotch too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh...... Butterscotch...... another one of those very addictive ingredients! These look delicious.... I am intrigued by the secret recipe club..... haven't noticed that one before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the secret recipe club - it's really fun!

      Delete
  12. I had Sally's blog last month! So many recipes to chose from - great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She writes a lovely blog and it was difficult to pick one!

      Delete
  13. I love brownies too and butterscotch. These sound like they would something I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a good brownie and these look insanely good. I love that you used extra chocolate and nuts - you can never have too much :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drool.. those look ooey, gooey, and DELICIOUS!! Great SRC pick this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I would love these! I love butterscotch but have never ever had a butterscotch brownie! But I want one right now :-)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!