Monday 19 December 2011

Banana, cinnamon and honey pancakes


It has been hard to focus and concentrate on what I need to do this week- writing my dissertation. I am so easily distracted and all I want to do is bake particularly Christmas baking.  So I decided to treat myself to some pancakes as an extra incentive.  I looked around my kitchen to see what I could use and came up with this creation. I had quite a few ripe bananas that needed to be used and leftover cinnamon sugar from making cinnamon sugar palmiers. I didnt have any nice bananas that I could slice to put on top so I sprinkled a few dried cranberries (again leftover from baking chocolate, orange and cranberry cookies). I also thought it made the pancakes look slightly festive and therefore added a sprinkling of icing sugar which you can't really see in the photo. This would make a great Christmas or Boxing day breakfast.

By my calculations this only cost less than £1 to make. It's simple, tasty, healthy-ish and satisfying! So I'm sending it on to Frugal Food Fridays hosted by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours. Do click on her blog for more details about this exciting challenge and feel free to join in! 


Makes 5 pancakes of the size shown

125g self raising flour
1.5 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
180mls milk
20g butter, melted
2 ripe bananas, mashed

To decorate (optional)
Sprinkling of icing sugar
drizzle of honey
small handful of dried cranberries

  • Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. 
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the milk and melted butter. 
  • Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
  • Mix well and finally add in the mashed bananas. 
  • Put a small amount of butter in a non stick frying pan. 
  • Pour the batter into the pan until it forms a small circle. 
  • Once the edges are cooked, flip the pancake over - it should be lightly browned.
  • Continue cooking until golden brown. 
  • Serve immediately with optional toppings suggested - drizzle of honey, sprinkling of icing sugar and a few dried cranberries. Alternatively, slice half a banana for added nutritional value. 

13 comments:

  1. These pancakes are extra delicious with the cranberries! Nice to eat these on a Christmas morning.

    I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo, that's no fun - having to do such boring studying stuff around Christmas! Well - thanks for finding the time to cook up this dish for us. Looks just like the sort of thing I wouldn't mind having on Christmas morning :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think you make the best banana based bakes in (blogging) town. These sound brilliant.

    Good luck with the dissertation. I found copious amounts of tea and an endless supply of chocolate digestives helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking part and adding the linkie! I love the blog hop love! And your post gets seen by so many more people.

    I love your pancakes! wonderful flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoe - thanks! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you too! :)

    Charles - I know treats like these help! Do make them for Christmas morning - so quick and easy to make and no special ingredients required :)

    Jo - thanks :) I do love baking with bananas and have a few more posts coming up. Thanks for the tip, I seem to be eating endlessly!

    Helen - thanks for hosting the event, will be adding more later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasty looking pancakes. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a happy holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really yummy looking pancakes. They're just so comforting aren't they? Perfect breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to wake up to these pancakes on Christmas Day morning! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm what a perfect breakfast! I love cinnamon and honey together..and banana is my favourite fruit..so this one is a real winner. Good luck with your dissertation

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM ~~ Pancakes are my all time favourite :) damn I didn't know you updated your blog lol i talk to you all time on Twitter that I forgot to check out your blog ~ can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Words of Deliciousness - Thanks! Happy Holidays to you too :)

    Dom - Thanks, pancakes are the ultimate comfort food :)

    Lorraine - I hope you do :)

    Brittany - thanks!

    Daisy - Glad you like the pancakes. Come back later for an exciting post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great blog hop! I'll have to join in sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post. Thanks for sharing this article. I would like to share information about the company. The top Flutter app development company in Pune is a dynamic and innovative tech firm that has earned a stellar reputation for its expertise in creating cutting-edge mobile applications using the Flutter framework. With a team of highly skilled and experienced Flutter app developers in Pune, they excel in delivering tailored solutions that cater to a wide range of industries and business needs.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!