Thursday 22 December 2011

5 minute cheesecake


Following the success of my 5 minute chocolate mug cake, I was super excited to try out the 5 minute cheesecake in a mug inspired by the same amazing blogger Lorraine from Not Quite Nigella. If you haven't been to her blog, do head on over there and be prepared to be amazed and inspired.

It's so quick and simple and tastes incredible! Yes it really does taste like a cheesecake and it's low fat as well. As with the chocolate mug cake, the flavour variations are endless - you can use different fruits or jam, chocolate or even coffee. Do let me know if you try a different flavour and tell me what is your favourite cheesecake?  I'm already envisioning a chocolate version topped with crushed Oreos or a Christmassy version with orange zest, dried cranberries/raisins and a dash of cinnamon (rum optional). 

I'm entering this to Frugal Food Fridays hosted by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours as this is a great time saving recipe plus it's fairly low cost to make and if you're anything like me, you'll already have the ingredients to hand. It's also healthy(ish), does not require any fancy equipment and there is minimum washing up required. It's a win win :) 



 a mini tub is perfect for 1 portion

 I added some lemon zest for extra 'zing' 

 I only had frozen mixed berries to hand so that's what I used 

 before cooking 

 after cooking - it should still be wobbly in the middle, it will set after cooling. 

 delicious!! 

Recipe adapted from Not Quite Nigella

To make 1 portion

20g/2.5 tablespoons icing sugar
35g/2.5 tablespoons low fat cream cheese (one mini tub as shown)
2 tablespoons low fat yoghurt (or sour cream)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
zest of 1/4 - 1/2 lemon (depending on how lemony you want it to be)
1/2 egg, beaten
Handful of frozen mixed berries
1 Hobnob cookie crushed in a ziplock bag (or digestive)

  • In a large bowl, whisk the icing sugar, cream cheese, yoghurt and egg until very smooth.  This is important otherwise your cheesecake will be lumpy. 
  • Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest and berries. 
  • Spoon into a ramekin or mug and microwave on medium for 1 minute. All microwaves vary and I have a really old one that only has a cook or defrost function  (Mine took 2+ minutes to cook). I would advise cooking in 30 second bursts to ensure it's not over or undercooked. 
  • The cheesecake should still have a wobble in the middle but be cooked around the edges. It will continue to cook once its out of the microwave and it will set once it's been cooled in the fridge. 
  • Chill in the fridge for a few hours (this is the hardest part - waiting to eat it!)
  • Crush the cookie in a sealed ziplock bag and sprinkle on top of the cheesecake and enjoy! 





15 comments:

  1. Love the idea of frugal food friday! Did you say cheesecake in five mins? I'm listening! :)

    I love cheesecake and this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that you can have a cheesecake in 5 minutes. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you liked this cheesecake! I try and save it up for times when I just need a piece and not the whole thing :D I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea and it looks really delicious - only problem though... considering cheesecake is probably my favourite dish, I don't think this would be enough :D I'd have to make it a fair bit bigger :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! Mr Bao doesn't really like desserts so this is perfect for when I need a cheesecake fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a yummy and tasty recipe! Only five minutes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, and highly addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds lovely. I could certainly eat one right now. I'm always fascinated by really rapid desserts; it goes back to bet I had some years ago about who could produce the fastest dessert - but that's another story. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The build in portion control is great, too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baker Street - You should join in! Yes it really does take 5 mins (minus cooling time)

    Words of Deliciousness - thanks, me too!

    Lorraine - I love this cheesecake! Thanks again for the inspiration. Happy Christmas to you too :)

    Charles - LOL well you could easily make a few portions (as I did) and put it in the fridge :)

    Daisy - Do give it a try and let me know how it gees.

    Yummychunklet - thanks! tasty and quick :)

    Made with pink - I can vouch for the addictiveness. Have had 3 so far....

    Phil - I'd love to hear that story! Have a great Christmas too!

    Cookie sleuth - yes as long as I only eat one :) Happy Christmas to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheesecake in five minutes? That is just too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oops My linky said it hadn't worked and now it has posted 3 of them...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops My linky said it hadn't worked and now it has posted 3 of them...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julia - I thought the same thing when I saw it. You do have to wait a few hours for it to chill for best taste

    talesofpiglingbland - no worries. I dont know how to fix it! Love your entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent post. Thanks for sharing this article. I would like to share information about the company. The top Flutter app development company in Pune is a dynamic and innovative tech firm that has earned a stellar reputation for its expertise in creating cutting-edge mobile applications using the Flutter framework. With a team of highly skilled and experienced Flutter app developers in Pune, they excel in delivering tailored solutions that cater to a wide range of industries and business needs.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!