It's late at night and it's cold outside. It's been raining most of the evening and I'm drowning in work. The chocolate craving hits but a normal bar of chocolate or chocolate ice cream just won't cut it. Sometimes I just want cake. Preferably chocolate cake. Greedy as I may be, I can't really eat a whole cake myself (err.. ok maybe I can but that's not in question here!) I thought about whipping up a small batch of cupcakes and then I remember that I read about a microwave mug cake somewhere. I scrolled through my bookmarked recipes and there it was - the Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake by Not Quite Nigella 2009. This is an amazing recipe and it really does take 5 minutes to make and minimal washing up. It tastes just like a baked chocolate cake and definitely satisfied my chocolate cake craving.
It's really dangerous knowing I can make cake so quickly and simply. I'm already thinking of different flavour variations - vanilla cake, lemon cake, extra chocolate cake (I think I'll put chocolate chunks next time), cinammon cake, caramel cake....
I'd also like to submit this recipe to Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jac of Tinned Tomatoes, founded by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.
Makes 2 mugs
(Adapted from Not Quite Nigella)
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons extra
splash of vanilla extract
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a mug.
- Add egg, milk, oil and chocolate chips.
- Stir well.
- Top with the extra tablespoon of chocolate chips (1 for each mug)
- Cook for 1-2 minutes in the microwave. My microwave is ancient and only has a cook or defrost function so took just over 2 minutes. If it's not cooked, just put it back and check every 10-15 seconds as you don't want to overcook it.
- Note: I didn't cover my mug and there was no over-spill. I also used self raising flour as I'd run out of plain flour.
- Serve with some ice cream straight from the mug.