Thursday 3 November 2011

Chocolate Mug Cake


It's late at night and it's cold outside. It's been raining most of the evening and I'm drowning in work.  The chocolate craving hits but a normal bar of chocolate or chocolate ice cream just won't cut it. Sometimes I just want cake. Preferably chocolate cake. Greedy as I may be, I can't really eat a whole cake myself (err.. ok maybe I can but that's not in question here!) I thought about whipping up a small batch of cupcakes and then I remember that I read about a microwave mug cake somewhere. I scrolled through my bookmarked recipes and there it was - the Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake by Not Quite Nigella 2009. This is an amazing recipe and it really does take 5 minutes to make and minimal washing up.  It tastes just like a baked chocolate cake and definitely satisfied my chocolate cake craving. 
It's really dangerous knowing I can make cake so quickly and simply. I'm already thinking of different flavour variations - vanilla cake, lemon cake, extra chocolate cake (I think I'll put chocolate chunks next time), cinammon cake, caramel cake.... 
I'd also like to submit this recipe to Bookmarked Recipes hosted by Jac of Tinned Tomatoes, founded by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments

 Thought I had to get my 'cake' mug out for this 

 mix dry ingredients 

 add wet ingredients, mix and top with more chocolate chips 

 cake! 

 cross section of cake 

 add a small  scoop of ice cream 



Makes 2 mugs 
(Adapted from Not Quite Nigella)

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten 
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons extra 
splash of vanilla extract 

  • Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a mug. 
  • Add egg, milk, oil and chocolate chips.
  • Stir well. 
  • Top with the extra tablespoon of chocolate chips (1 for each mug) 
  • Cook for 1-2 minutes in the microwave. My microwave is ancient and only has a cook or defrost function so took just over 2 minutes. If it's not cooked, just put it back and check every 10-15 seconds as you don't want to overcook it. 
  • Note: I didn't cover my mug and there was no over-spill. I also used self raising flour as I'd run out of plain flour. 
  • Serve with some ice cream straight from the mug.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! I've seen a couple of chocolate cake in mug recipes and they often look unappealing but this looks lovely and chocolatey. I'll definitely be bookmarking this one for chocolate craving days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you liked this! It took a few goes to get it right when I first tried it and I'm glad to help with chocolate cravings :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read about this recipe and always thought it wouldn't look all that - however, yours looks like an incredible chocolate fondant....which just happens to be in a cup! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the scoop of vanilla ice cream it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 Minute Cake is one of my favorites. So easy and delicious. Perfect for one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly amazing. Chocolate cake and that scoop of ice cream, no much could be better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of a mug cake before. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, yes!!! Everything you said and YES!!! I'm off to the microwave to try this "baby" out right now!!!

    Thanks for sharing, Ruth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great mug - must have been made for the occasion ;-) I don't have a microwave so when I'm desperate and need a stodgy chocolate fix fast, I usually make chocolate porridge - I think yours is more elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the idea of making a mug cake - so simple, delicious and comforting. Anything with chocolate gets my vote, and if there's less washing up then it's even more of a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am straight-up doing this. No question.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe and i don think two minutes would be fine. What's the temperature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a temperature on my microwave. This was an ancient one with no settings. I'd suggest Medium high. Cook for 1 minute then check. Cook for further minute and check. May need 1-2 extra minutes depending on your microwave.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!