Saturday 24 December 2011

Nigella's Spruced up Spice Cake


Well it's Christmas Eve and the day we've all been waiting for is almost here so what better way to celebrate this festive season than with a classic Nigella recipe. I've been making one of Nigella's recipes for the past few Christmases so I'm really pleased that this month's Forever Nigella has a Christmas theme as I'd always wanted to participate but never got round to it. Coincidentally, I was flipping through my beloved copy of Nigella Christmas when I saw the tweet announcement about this challenge.  This challenge is hosted by Sarah from Maison Cupcake and there is still time to enter as the deadline is 31st December 2011. 

I debated about what to make and finally settled on this spruced up spice cake as I really wanted to use my new snowflake moulds. I don't have the spectacular bundt tin that Nigella has but I think the snowflakes and stars work well. The recipe can be found on her website here.  I made the spiced version and modified the spices slightly by adding 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger.  I halved the recipe which yielded 6 snowflakes and 3 stars of the size shown.  The cake is delightfully moist and the spices are present but not overpowering. I hope everyone will enjoy it on Christmas Day. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone best wishes for the festive season. See you soon - I'll be back before New Year :)

HAPPY CHRISTMAS !! 



 Mr Snowman and Santa would also like to wish you Merry Christmas! :) 

 Sprinkling of icing sugar

23 comments:

  1. They look lovely and the pictures are so Christmassy. Merry Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cakes look so cute! Love how they look. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. your cakelook soo awesome & soo christmassy. I wish you & your family a great happy Christmas ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love Nigella and these cakes look lovely and delicious! Perfect for the holidays! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so Christmassy and pretty! Have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shape of your holiday cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan - thanks, merry Christmas to you too x

    Akika - Merry Christmas! :)

    Lostinausten - thanks and you too :)

    Amy - thanks, Nigella rocks! Merry Christmas to you too!

    MissCakeBaker - thanks, hope you have a lovely Christmas too!

    yummychunklet - thanks, i'm loving it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful looking cakes - I love those moulds too... so festive and pretty :) Have a wonderful Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Nigella :) And i love the pics and they cakes are so tiny and cute~ i've never had spruce cake hehe
    Merry Xmas :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charles - thanks! they are great moulds. Happy Christmas too :)

    Daisy - Another Nigella fan :) Merry Christmas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog, I hope you are enjoying the holidays. Love the photos! Merry Christmas.

    Visit my blog when you get a chance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm these look and sound so delicious, I love those little snowflake moulds - so cute! Happy Christmas to you and your family too, hope you have a wonderful day x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely cookies, I'm tempted to enter the blog hop too! I hope you had a lovely Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just tututiny - Thanks! Merry Christmas to you too. Will drop by soon.

    Cupcake Crazy Gem - thanks, hope you had a wonderful Christmas x

    Xinmei - thanks, do join in the bloghop, the more the merrier :)

    Rebecca - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look beautiful! I've never seen snowflake-shaped cakes before, what a great mould for cakes! Hope you had a great Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing ~ this sounds like an absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hazel - Thanks! I really love the snowflake moulds :) Hope you had a good Christmas too.

    Loveforfood - glad you like it, hope you had a good Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the mini version of this cake, pretty genius idea there which I may have to steal for next year ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so pretty. I bet they were very much enjoyed on Christmas Day. Mini is a great way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A belated reply but finally I am getting around to all the FN entries - thank you so much for taking part!

    Such a pretty tin, I must look out for one of those, cakes sprinkled with icing sugar always look especially festive.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sarah - thank you for hosting! It was fun to participate. Happy New Year to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent post. Thanks for sharing this article. I would like to share information about the company. The top Flutter app development company in Pune is a dynamic and innovative tech firm that has earned a stellar reputation for its expertise in creating cutting-edge mobile applications using the Flutter framework. With a team of highly skilled and experienced Flutter app developers in Pune, they excel in delivering tailored solutions that cater to a wide range of industries and business needs.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!