This is a special Father's Day Cake. My brother and I are having a friendly competition as to who's carrot cake is better. I chose a recipe from Fiona Cairns Bake & Decorate and it didn't fail to disappoint. The cake is really moist and spongy with a great flavour of carrots, pecan and orange. The best bit about this cake for me is the buttercream icing. It had a hint of maple syrup which complemented the flavours of the cake really well. I think I'll add a little bit more maple syrup next time.
Happy Father's Day!!
For the cake
175ml sunflower oil60g pecan nuts, chopped
200g self raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
175g light muscovado sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
250g carrots, finely grated
Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
50g unsweetened dessicated coconut (I omitted this as I don't like coconut)
For the buttercream
40g pecan nuts, chopped80g unsalted butter
60g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp maple syrup
150g unsalted cream cheese
Juice of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Oil a 23cm diameter, 7.5cm deep, round tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Scatter the pecans – both for the cake and buttercream – on to a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5-10 minutes, shaking once and watching carefully so they don’t burn. Measure out, separate and set aside the amounts needed for the cake and buttercream.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- In an electric mixer, slowly beat together the oil and sugar for a minute or so until smooth, then gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Using a large spoon, gently fold in the carrot, zest, pecans, coconut and finally the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the icing sugar and maple syrup until really light and fluffy (approx 5 mins)
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth then fold it into the butter mixture.
- Finally, add the orange juice.
- Spread over the top of the cake and scatter with the pecan nuts.