150g dates, chopped and pitted
200g brown sugar
320g wholemeal self-raising flour
260g mashed ripe bananas
55g chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 14x21cm loaf pan.
- Combine dates, sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add flour, bananas, walnuts and bicarbonate of soda and stir until combined.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.