Wednesday 24 October 2012

Spiced Apple, Honey and Beer Cake


I'm sure you can tell by now that I love experimenting in the kitchen and creating new recipes when I can. This month's Baking with Spirit hosted by Janine from Cake of the Week has the theme of beer. I have a bottle of apple beer in my fridge from my last trip to Belgium so I got to thinking about making a cake with it and came up with this recipe. It's a vegan recipe with lots of spices, apple, honey and of course beer. The cake itself was quite moist and sticky and you can definitely smell and taste the beer! I'm not overly keen on this cake but I'm glad I tried it and I'm sure if I experimented with the recipe a bit more, I could come up with something much tastier! 


I'm also sending this to Made with love Mondays hosted by Javelin Warrior where the idea is to make something from scratch. 

 
And to simple and in season as apples are in season. Simple and in season was created by Ren from Fabulicious Food and guest hosted this month by Franglaiskitchen



 apple beer from Belgium and fresh Bramley apples 

 adding lots of spices! 

 adding the beer

 note to self - must chop apples into smaller pieces next time

 I decided to make mini loaves as they look so cute...

 ...especially with a ribbon around it! 


An original recipe by bakingaddict
Makes 11 mini loaves as shown. 

400g flour
175g honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground all spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
330ml apple beer
2 Bramley apples - peeled, cored and chopped

  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • In a large jug, mix the beer and honey together.
  • Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
  • Pour in the beer and honey mixture and mix well.
  • Finally stir in the chopped apples - you can also grate the apples if you want a finer texture. 
  • Pour into mini loaf cases and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 



17 comments:

  1. These are so cute with the little ribbons, Ros! And I've never had Bramley apples, but they look kind of like Granny Smith apples. Love all the spices and it sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bramley apples are quite tart and similar to Granny Smiths. I think they look pretty cute too :)

      Delete
  2. These look great! I've never heard of apple beer before, either. I found the taste of beer was a bit strong in my pinapple upside down cake to begin with, but that the taste mellowed out after about a day. Hopefully yours will too. Thanks for entering Baking With Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely tasted better the next day! Apple beer is quite sweet and tastes of apples :)

      Delete
  3. Well they sound delicious and look so pretty all tied up in a bow. Apple beer sounds interesting. I'm wondering how that works compared to cider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cider would work just as well here. Apple beer is probably sweeter.

      Delete
  4. How cute are the mini loaves. Baking with beer isn't something I have done a lot of, these look great so I should probably give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a real fan of baking with the mini loaf tins, they are fantastic. I love the sound of apple beer, bet it gives a lovely flavour. Well done to you for being so original with this recipe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cakes and bakes in miniature form are definitely super cute!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I have some mini loaf cases in the cupboard that I haven't got around to using yet, so will definitely keep this in mind. Lovely with the ribbons too, am thinking they would make a great gift for my Dad as he's always difficult to buy for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ribbon was a last minute idea - I'm now going to use it all the time with these mini loaves.

      Delete
  7. What beautiful little cakes, they're so pretty and I bet they taste delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were quite tasty even though they were on the wet side.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful recipe and a great gift idea the way you present them. I have been toying with buying mini loaf cases and you have convinced me that it is worth it as the result is so gorgeous. A wonderful combination of flavours here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely buy the mini loaf cases - they are cute, perfect portion size and makes great gifts!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!