I've had this recipe bookmarked for ages so I'm pleased that I finally got a chance to make them. I've seen financiers on a lot of blogs but have never made my own so when the letter for this month's AlphaBakes was chosen as 'R', I knew exactly what I was going to make. This is a recipe from Edd Kimber The Boy Who Bakes. I love the use of brown butter and pistachio in this recipe as it really makes this a special treat. The pistachios were really fragrant and paired well with the tart raspberries. The financiers were light, nutty and moist. An absolute treat!
I'm entering this to AlphaBakes which is hosted by myself this month and Caroline from Caroline Makes on alternate months. The letter is R for raspberries.
As raspberries are in season, I think they will also fit in nicely for Simple and in Season hosted by Ren from Ren Behan.
This is my second entry to Four Seasons Food challenge as raspberries are in season and these little treats are perfectly portable for a picnic. The theme is Picnic Food & Outdoor Nibbles. This challenge is hosted this month by Anneli from Delicieux and on alternate months by Louisa from Chez Foti.
I've just noticed that this month's One ingredient challenge is raspberries which is perfect for this recipe too! I've not participated for a few months so it's fortuitous that Nazima from Franglais Kitchen who is hosting this month chose raspberries for June. This challenge is co-hosted by Laura from How To Cook Good Food.
Recipe reproduced with permission from the author
100g pistachio nuts
120g icing sugar
50g ground almonds
pinch of salt
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Icing sugar to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Put the butter in a medium pan set over medium heat and cook swirling the pan occasionally until the butter turns a medium brown.
- Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve into a small bowl
- Put the pistachio nuts and icing sugar into the bowl of a food processor and process until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl mix together the pistachio nut mixture, almonds, flour and salt.
- Add the egg whites and vanilla and mix together.
- Mix in the warmed brown butter a little at a time until combined.
- Divide the financier batter evenly between the muffin cups and top each with 2 raspberries, pushing them in slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until springy to the touch and lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.